BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Spare Key

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FlyingDuck 
#1 ·
I need a new key for my 91 K100. Is this a dealer only key? I went to Ace hardware and they didn't have a blank that was even close.
The key that came with my bike is missing the whole top part for turning the ignition. I have to use a key ring to even start her up. I just tried calling Victory BMW here in AZ and found out they are closed today. Keys dealer only?

#3 ·
spare key

Go on EBAY and you can get one for 5-8 dollars i was just on there and did a search for bmw motorcycle key and there were plenty to chose from take it to your local locksmith and have it cut . Good Luck

#5 · (Edited)
Ilco makes two key blanks that will work. Go to a LOCKSMITH and they should have it. (Or call them before you go there.) Either an Ilco Y61 or a SR6IN. The latter is better as it's shorter and closer to the BMW key length. It should cost about $6 for the key and cutting.

If you get a Nieman flat blank or the BMW folding key from your dealer/fleabay, then most locksmiths will charge you $6 or so just to cut it - because it's a steel key.

And don't trust rubes at hardware stores to cut keys. Locksmiths actually know what they're doing. (or should)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.