BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Instrument Cluster Dead

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  rasbutan 
#1 ·
A little cross posting from the MOA forum.

know this is a time honored problem, but so far as I've read it's typically one gauge or another.

I just bought a new to me 1987 K75, with 13,000 miles on it. This bike runs like a top, and it's been a garage queen since day one!!

Now the problem. Cluster is dead.

I get battery, oil, and choke lights at start up.

Tach, speedo, odometer, gear indicator, signal reminder, neutral light, high beam light are all dead. :confused:

Do I need to replace the whole unit? Can this thing be pulled apart and repaired?

On my old K75S the tach would stick and the speedo would bounce when I rode in the fog or rain. But, this is way beyond sticking.

Thoughts?

Is the cluster fused? :confused:

See less See more
#4 ·
Although the instrument cluster on the old "K's" are known to crap out. I would first check and clean all the contacts in the electrical connector first.
The attachments came from a Haynes manual.
If you look on left margin of pg.#1 of the K100 electrical diagram(K75 is the same) you can see that there is several separate ground wires going to the instrument cluster, one of which runs the tach, speedo, gear indicator, neutral light, high beam indicator, etc.

Attachments

#5 ·
brucecha said:
Although the instrument cluster on the old "K's" are known to crap out. I would first check and clean all the contacts in the electrical connector first.
The attachments came from a Haynes manual.
If you look on left margin of pg.#1 of the K100 electrical diagram(K75 is the same) you can see that there is several separate ground wires going to the instrument cluster, one of which runs the tach, speedo, gear indicator, neutral light, high beam indicator, etc.
I'll bet that's it!!

I'm feeling a bit more optomistic now!

Thanks!

#7 ·
brucecha said:
Do you have/ borrow an ohmmeter, so you can check the pins to ground on the wiring harness side of the connector??
Here is a pdf of pg.#1&#2.
I do have a meter. I'm going to have to find a clearer version of the wiring diagram, the ones you posted are just a bit too blurry to understand.

I appreciate it though!!

#10 ·
One of the local gents here had a spare pod sitting on his shelf that he sold to me for a very reasonable price. I popped it in today over lunch and bing bang zoom the bike was up and running perfectly.

I owe a big thanks to Tom for parting with his spare, since he has 4 K bikes.

I'm off to find out how much it'll cost to have my original rebuilt.

I love this bike. :tim

Pics soon!

c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.