K1100LTIC losing power - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2010, 8:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1100LTIC losing power

About nearly two years ago my '94'k1100 got power issues. I eventually found out that the intake tubes were not in the best shape. Just replaced these. Now in fairness the bike has not been that active for the last two years although i regularly turned on the engine. I replaced the spark plugs. It isn't running smoothly though. At idle the engine seems fine. But when i take it on the roads it loses power at about 2000 rpm and as i apply more throttle the rpm or speed will not increase then suddenly it will get a boost of power and accelerate in rpm and speed. At idle after one or two miles of this behaviour the idle might experience the same behaviour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:09 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

It's not a good idea to start an engine every now and then without really running it. Either ride it or put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and let it sit if you're not going to ride it.

First thing I'd do is drain/clean the tank in case water has condensed in there while sitting and replace the fuel filter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2010, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks i will give a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 9:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well the spark plugs are all firing. Currently replacing the fuel filter and then i can test the fuel pump. Forgot to mention this. I said i could not replicate the problem when the bike was idle but if i put on centre stand and rev her form first to third and even fourth with plenty of rpm, i cannot replicate the issue either ?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

In order to test if the hall unit or sensor is at fault. I remove the t cover, turn the bike on at
say about 2000 rpm. Appy the heat gun and notice if the power goes awol?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:30 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

If the HES is crapping out then the bike dies so I would look elsewhere.

How tight are the spark plug leads on? You have to push them on really hard so that they're firmly seated. If they wiggle at all then they're not on properly. Hold the spark plug lead with a pair of pliers and smack the hand holding the pliers really hard with your other hand.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Enthusiast

Have a look in the airbox. If the bike has been sitting a lot, critters may have moved in.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54089093
Have a look in the airbox. If the bike has been sitting a lot, critters may have moved in.
I have had critters fill up an exhaust can with small dog food kibble.
And boy does it stink when it burns.

Ride safe

1997 K1100LT
1995 K1100LT
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2011, 7:12 am

time to sell

Darih

Am I reading these dates correctly? You first posted back in July, about a problem which had already plagued you for two years, and you still don't have it squared away? Dude, with all due respect, sell the bike to someone who will use it.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2011, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Took my k1100 to a mechanic. He identified firstly the idle was wrong.
Corrected that. Only two to three cylinders running due to two faulty injectors.
Also the butterfly assembly will have to be factory reset as they were previously adjusted.
They adjusted as best they could. I got two secondhand injectors which left the engine running
more smooth but still sometimes losing power 2-3000 rpm. MPG is about 40. It fine on the motorway except
pulling out of a roundabout. So how does one reset the assembly, whom does it ans what is usually
the cost ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode