1985 K100 Electrical Issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

1985 K100 Electrical Issue

My 1985 K100 has developed an electrical problem. When I turn the key from off to the run position, the instrument panel quits working and the clock goes blank. Nothing happens at all when I press the starter button as well. This all begins when I turn the key on.

I tried charging the battery and also had it load tested which checks out fine. I removed the grounds on the engine, cleaned them, and re-terminated them with still the same result. When I pull the top fuse and turn the key to run, the clock remains on but the starter button still doesn't work.

Any help as to where I can check next?

Last edited by rastetter; Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2010, 11:17 am

How many miles does it have? I assume you've checked the fuses. You may want to pull out the starter and give it a good cleaning and check the brushes. The starter grounds a lot of the electronics on the bike and makes it do strange things when its gets dirty. Mine just recently ceased functioning and a good cleaning and changing the brushes brought it back to life. Its worth a look and is a fairly simple job.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2010, 11:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

The bike has 47K miles on it.
I'll check the starter gound this evening.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Noob

Problem in the ignition switch perhaps? Sounds like when you turn the switch nothing is coming on, maybe check that or the connections from the switch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackgs
Problem in the ignition switch perhaps? Sounds like when you turn the switch nothing is coming on, maybe check that or the connections from the switch.

I would second the ignition switch, mine was finicky until I cleaned it out, sometimes even cutting power of to the bike while cruising!

If you get the bike running in neutral on a stand, jiggle the key without moving its position and see if the bike dies out.

I found an excellent pictorial walk through but google isin't finding it. I will look to see if it's bookmarked when I get home.

1995 K75 Standard
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 8:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you all for the great input! All of the posts seem to be general maintenance issues that need to be addressed.

The end result was a trickle charger will not overcome the internal resistance of a dead flat battery. I placed a regular battery charger on it for two hours and heard that happy sound when the start button was depressed. Once again, the blue brick flies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode