K75 Rt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 8:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up K75 Rt

I love my bike however, in the heat of summer the engine vent on the fairing blows really Hot, right on my legs. Is there some air wings or such that can be attached so to route engine air elsewhere? In the cooler mornings or days it's great but not on hot days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 9:03 pm

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/bmw.html

I have these on my 91 75RT. They move a lot of air and work best if your knees don't touch the fairing.

I also added extra insulation under the tank and the kneepads.

I insulated the fuel lines and stuffed foam insulation in the cracks between the tank and fairing.

These mods have made the bike bearable in TX.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 9:35 pm

What 75RT said. Until you get some of that stuff done, the heavier your riding pants, the more comfortable you'll be. Denser fabric will keep the engine's heat from roasting your legs medium-well. Even good quality knee armor makes a difference. Don't forget some of the heat on your left leg is coming from the muffler.
Steve
1990 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:35 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Take some bubble-backed foil insulation and run it over the area under the tank and down the sides of the engine and back under the side covers and seat. That will help.

One of the flaws in the K bike design is that the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator runs behind the radiator and heats the gas as it returns to the tank, making the tank hot. Knee pads can help. Some models/years had insulation (part number 13311461507) on the fuel return line to mitigate this. There is also insulation available for the fuel rail - part 13531460584.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2010, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75RT
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/bmw.html

I have these on my 91 75RT. They move a lot of air and work best if your knees don't touch the fairing.

I also added extra insulation under the tank and the kneepads.

I insulated the fuel lines and stuffed foam insulation in the cracks between the tank and fairing.

These mods have made the bike bearable in TX.
Thanks for the info. I've Baker wings on a Honda. This is my 1st Beemer and I'm learning.

Mary
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2010, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDuck
Take some bubble-backed foil insulation and run it over the area under the tank and down the sides of the engine and back under the side covers and seat. That will help.

One of the flaws in the K bike design is that the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator runs behind the radiator and heats the gas as it returns to the tank, making the tank hot. Knee pads can help. Some models/years had insulation (part number 13311461507) on the fuel return line to mitigate this. There is also insulation available for the fuel rail - part 13531460584.
Thanks for all the info. This is my 1st Beemer and I'm learning.

Mary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode