1985 K100RS Left turn signal activation makes all 4 signals flash - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2010, 4:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

1985 K100RS Left turn signal activation makes all 4 signals flash

The title says it all-when I activate the left turn signal all 4 signals flash while the right side does as it should.
I have cleaned both left and right switches with electrical contact cleaner and checked the relay box itself (61311459224), with no visible problems on either of the relays, though I did run some fine grit sandpaper across each of the contacts. Each opens and closes to the same degree.
I have checked and changed all turn signal bulbs and disconnected the 4-way flasher switch, all to no avail.
When the problem started, it was an intermittent problem; sometimes working correctly and at other times all 4 flashing. Now I can count on it to reliably flash on all 4 when the left turn signal is activated.
I have wondered if the relay is defective but am reluctant to start replacing parts.
Help is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by JonBarleycorn; Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2010, 8:10 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Check your fuses. The flasher relay has both a switched power supply and an unswitched power supply. If one of those fuses is out then it can make the flasher relay act funky.

BTW: The OEM fuses can sometimes look good when they're not. Test them with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Is the starter running strong? I had a similar problem when my starter got so dirty it wasn't grounding. It cause crazy things like turn signals operating the flasher and not canceling...

That said a blown fuse would be a similar culprit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2010, 10:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

[QUOTE=lukeman]Is the starter running strong?
QUOTE]

Yes, the starter is running strong and without fault.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 7:19 am
Veteran

[QUOTE=JonBarleycorn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman
Is the starter running strong?
QUOTE]

Yes, the starter is running strong and without fault.
Yes it could still run strong but have enough carbon dust accumulated inside to cause electrical gremlins. Probably worth looking at anyway, just to make sure it is clean and the brushes are in good shape, lot cheaper to replace brushes than a complete starter.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

I will try the starter route. Any tricks to removing the starter I should know about and anything to NOT do? Best place to pick up brushes?

Thanks!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:00 am
Veteran

Oh yes there is a trick with them starters.....mark the covers and case well so you can realign it correctly and watch where the shaft shims go, they tend to fall out when you open the starter.Other than that they are pretty simple. One of the brushes is permanently attached to the starter plate so has to be ordered with it, about $15.00. I think 6mm is the minimum lenght of the brushes, but dont quote me on that one.

The Haynes manual has quite a lot on starter repairs, here is a link to a free one:
http://www.megauploadbay.com/downloa...nes+manual+pdf

It has been a while since I worked on a classic K......I dont think you have to remove the tranny like BMW says for the K1200RS......

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:28 am

Its pretty easy to do, just had mine apart a month ago. You can get the brushes at a bmw shop fairly cheap. There are two of them, one includes the entire plate the other is just a brush with a spring and wire I believe.

There are line up marks on the starter case, but are typical German vague. I just scored it with a screw driver at spots. Some good electrical cleaner is a must as the communicator gets a nice layer of gunk on it. If yours is like mine it also had some oil residue seep in as well.

It can be a pain to get the brushes back over the communicator since there isn't much wiggle room, get one side in and depressed and go from there. The magnets have tendency to slam things back into place rather abruptly while sliding the case around so a bit of gingerness is required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See it here DC to Gaspe

DC to Panama City
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hey thanks for the link to the manual.
Amazingly enough I have not had need for one yet as issues have been confined to small items such as one fuel pump, changing tires, filters or adjusting valves.
Very maintenance free for the first 25 years!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Yeah seriously, the mechanical stuff is bullet proof...

Though right about now all the electronics might start going. Get familiar with the wiring guide. haha. kidding. kind of

Might want to check that the radiator fan spins freely if its original as mine just went.

See it here DC to Gaspe

DC to Panama City

Last edited by lukeman; Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:18 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode