Picking up an LT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Picking up an LT

I had trouble picking up my LT a few weeks ago. The first problem was that it was dumping it's fuel out, turning the asphalt to goo. The second problem was that the bike was resting on a mirror, so I didn't want to pull on the handlebar too hard. Also, the bike was resting on the frame, and if I rocked it a bit, you could hear the fiberglass grinding against the road. Also, it seemed like it didn't want to budge... heavier than my old bike (Suzi GS500).

After a few attempts, I gave up and got help.

I was thinking that adding crash bars would solve one of the problems. But I think the mirror would still press into the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 4:25 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Thats a good thread. I dropped my old k100 naked twice. Both times the turn signals snapped.

I'm pretty sure the mirrors would still come down even with the crash bars depending on the slope of the drop. They stick out pretty far and once the bike rolled past the bars they would be the next point of contact. It might be lighter damage than without the bars though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks, Duck. I'd seen 2 of the 3 videos, and managed to use similar technique (with bonus cuss words added) to right a K75c. The problem with the K100LT was that the mirror was pressing on the ground. The "texbook approach" would be to grab the handlebar near the ground, and pull hard, to make it a good fixed grip point. But in my case, it looked like I would be forcing the (plastic fairing supported) mirror against the ground even harder, and I was worried about it breaking off (in fact, it looks like the PO broke it off once already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman
I'm pretty sure the mirrors would still come down even with the crash bars depending on the slope of the drop. They stick out pretty far and once the bike rolled past the bars they would be the next point of contact. It might be lighter damage than without the bars though.
That's what I was wondering: with crash bars, could you rock the bike back a few inches, onto the crash bar, allowing you to grab the handlebar near the ground, but without grinding the mirror against the pavement?

Last edited by Rema1000; Aug 24th, 2010 at 10:33 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:53 am
Noob

I've read that crash bars on the older K engines may not be the greatest idea. It was in the Haynes manual (pg.15). It said that some owners felt that crash bars could do more harm than good. The reason being that the only possible mounting was by using the bolts in the bottom of the crank case. If the bike dumps hard enough, or hits wrong whatever, it could break the crank case and ruin it. Which means in order to repair you have to strip and rebuild the engine and perform expensive welding to the block, or buy and install a new engine. Or not mount them and buy a new mirror if it breaks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:35 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

They mount to the bottom of the oil sump, not the crank case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode