'88 K75s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

'88 K75s

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a few weeks as i was ready to buy a "new" bike.

I've had a slew of ricers and honestly haven't been happy with the ride or overall quality. My latest ride ('85 maxim-x) was fast but uncomfortable and was missing 2nd gear (ultimately missing them all). I've talked with several bmw owners (many with over 150k miles on their bikes) and they all seem to be happy, if not thrilled with theirs.
So i took the plunge...a friend of mine knew where this bike was for sale. i ended up gettin' her for $500...PO hadn't ridden in 3 or 4 years...it has a starter problem but when i got it home tonight i drained the gas, put some new in and made sure the fuel pump was pumping and bumped it down my driveway...fired right up! smoked a little but after 2x around the neighborhood and i already love it and can't wait to go through her and get it back on the road

sorry for pic quality and thanks for looking
ride safe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2010, 6:12 am

Looks like you have done really well and the fact that you already have it running is an added bonus.

Starting problem "should" not be huge and as you would be aware plenty of advice to be had here.

Enjoy.

Phil Mars

1984 K100RT
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:35 am

Welcome to the site DB,

Looks like a steal, I got my bike on the cheap for the same exact issue.

First thing I did was clean the starter button, starting problem gone!

I also replaced the crankcase? hose as it was brittle and was allowing air in, causing the erratic idle the PO worried about.

Have fun

1995 K75 Standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Wow you got a hell of the deal on that. You could have sold a few of the electronic parts for that much...

How many miles is on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2010, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman
Wow you got a hell of the deal on that. You could have sold a few of the electronic parts for that much...

How many miles is on it.
Wow, i don't feel like i got taken then...my last bike ('85 maxim-x) cost me $250...after new tire(rear) and covering the seat and cleaning carbs i was in it for $400....and it was missing 2nd gear...in the end, 5k miles in 4 months and the trans went to hell (at 26k miles)...have parted around $700 worth right now (enough to buy this bike and get a new back tire) and i still have the engine, pipes, front and rear tire/rim, chassis, starter, and wiring harness...i will get about $1000-1100 out of it by parting it out.
I should have said, this bike has 27k miles on it...i plan to put many more on it

oh, and there's an aftermarket exhaust on this bike (i would assume one of the POs laid it down bad enough to ruin the factory unit) and it's loud as hell again, i am in love
my wife should be so lucky if this is my mid-life crisis

thanks for the input, i will get some decent pics of it in the daylight and will post 'em up...i can't wait to ride!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Enthusiast

Yeah, you stole that bike. I've seen bags alone go for $350+. I never liked the stock muffler, bike sounded like a whiney sewing machine. If the starter spins but doesn't engage it may be the sprag clutch, they tend to gum up, usually from lack of oil changes.
PItA to get to. Lots of good info here: http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2010, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
Yeah, you stole that bike. I've seen bags alone go for $350+. I never liked the stock muffler, bike sounded like a whiney sewing machine. If the starter spins but doesn't engage it may be the sprag clutch, they tend to gum up, usually from lack of oil changes.
PItA to get to. Lots of good info here: http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
Actually it's kind of weird...it'll crank and then it squeals and seems like the starter siezes and damn near takes the battery out...with jumper cables from a car(not running) the squeal is louder.

That said, when i shut it off (kill switch) sometimes the starter makes the same "squeal" the instant the bike dies...it's weird and i havent had a chance to look into it yet (only driven it 2 times around the hood at night just to see what did and didn't work).

Thanks again and if anyone has ever had their starter seize and then squeal like that post it up...if not i will take a video with sound and post it up.

ride safe...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 10:07 am

wrench

At least you're going about it the right way. You score a deal you can't go wrong on, then you have fun working on the old beast. I love finding an old bike cheap and bringing her back to life.

Nearly all the K owners I know around here, they blow twenty grand on a new one, then they are out a fortune toting it to the dealer every time it needs an oil change. Come valve adjustment time they blow a grand. They seem to think a grown man can't squeeze a pair of pliers unless he gets a note from his mother. Half the fun of a bike is fooling in the garage. I'm heading out there now. Best wrenching season is coming up, too. Football on the tube, beer in the coolie, steel in hand, neighbors walking over to drool, wife inside making a sandwich, parts on order off Ebay, manual beside the throne, geese honking, shit coming together...

You got a hell of a deal. Now you get to have a hell of a good time wrenching.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
....seem to think a grown man can't squeeze a pair of pliers unless he gets a note from his mother. Half the fun of a bike is fooling in the garage
agreed...and thanks for the input.
fooled around a little tonight for the first time since i bought it.
i need to change oil/filter then run a bit and do it again...go through the cooling system, check all the brake pads/calipers, then go through the injection system.
all in all i think i'm at scratch golf right now...
A few pics in the daylight....just so you can see that it's not a perfect specimen of the flying brick, but it's $500 worth!

Last edited by dbikers; Aug 29th, 2010 at 10:37 pm.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2010, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

took her for a "spin" today for probably the last time this season (needs tires BAD! ...put about 45 miles on it (i'm at a total of about 55 miles on her so far)...

she ran well enough but i have found this bike to be completely uncomfortable (hell on the wrists)...i'm not sure what i can do to fix this issue but until i do i probably will not put many miles on the clock..

to date the only $$ i have in it right now (other than the initial purchase price) is a clear screen ($61 shipped from flea-bay) which is much better than the one that was on it when purchased

to those of you who still have some riding season left have fun and ride safe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode