New to forum, electrical issues. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

New to forum, electrical issues.

'85 K100rs 65k mi.
Bought last September didn't get to ride it much. This May went for a 30 mile ride, stopped at a friends for about three hours. Came out to start and it wouldn't. Sounded like a dead battery. Pulled and had it checked. Had white powder on the top of it, it was shot. Finally put a new battery in it this week. Also ride an '81 R100. It starts and runs fine but the battery light is on and when I rev the engine it gets brighter. Went for a short ride,everything functions but that light is making me nervous, won't take it for a long ride until I figure out what is going on. Is that light telling me the battery is not being charged? Any ideas what it could be? Alternator? I really like this bike and would like to get it in top shape. Anyone in Indianapolis?
Thanks!
Andrew

1981 R100
1985 K100rs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:44 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlocator
'85 K100rs 65k mi.
Bought last September didn't get to ride it much. This May went for a 30 mile ride, stopped at a friends for about three hours. Came out to start and it wouldn't. Sounded like a dead battery. Pulled and had it checked. Had white powder on the top of it, it was shot. Finally put a new battery in it this week. Also ride an '81 R100. It starts and runs fine but the battery light is on and when I rev the engine it gets brighter. Went for a short ride,everything functions but that light is making me nervous, won't take it for a long ride until I figure out what is going on. Is that light telling me the battery is not being charged? Any ideas what it could be? Alternator? I really like this bike and would like to get it in top shape. Anyone in Indianapolis?
Thanks!
Andrew
Yes, assuming the battery has a full charge, the light is telling you that the alternator is not working.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Is there a common reason why this alternator may be failing? Anything I should check? Pull it off the bike and clean/replace brushes? Or am I looking at replacing it completely?

1981 R100
1985 K100rs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 5:39 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Is there a common reason why this alternator may be failing? Anything I should check? Pull it off the bike and clean/replace brushes? Or am I looking at replacing it completely?
Just to check it's operation, I'd start by checking the voltage. When you rev it up to 4,000 you should see a voltage of around 14V or so.

Then pulling it apart to check/clean the brushes isn't a bad idea.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 7:07 am
Addict

Quote:
If a battery has been left in a totally flat or faulty state and somehow you got the bike running say with a jump lead start, then 2 things can happen.

The alternator electronic regulator can get fried (1) if the jump starting isn't done right and (2) when the bike starts there is no battery (if faulty) and the alternator can put out lots of volts. Sometimes but not always, the alternator controller is designed to stop this. I've had a perfectly good alternator which has fried its regulator after a jump start, so I never do this on vehicles now.

Do what FlyingDuck says.

Check your wiring diagram. On most alternators there is usually a single wire connector on the side of the alternator that drives the charge light. You should measure the voltage there first, running and not running before taking it apart.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 1st, 2010 at 7:12 am.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 9:18 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Check your wiring diagram. On most alternators there is usually a single wire connector on the side of the alternator that drives the charge light. You should measure the voltage there first, running and not running before taking it apart.
It's the blue wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode