substitute fuel pump damper? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

substitute fuel pump damper?

I am bringing back to life a long parked K75. Sure enough, the fuel pump damper turned to goo. I am replacing the ridiculously exhorbitant OEM fuel pump with a reasonably priced pump from the auto parts store. But I also hesitate to blow a wad of cash on a new rubber damper. I have searched here but have not found a replacement. Has anyone found a substitute, or else a way to fab something that will work?

TIA

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 9:01 pm
Noob

I recently went through the same process. I ordered a kit from Beemer Bone Yard that contains all the fuel pump components that go in the tank. It was much cheaper than the dealer. I believe they have the damper available individually I am not sure of the price but I would guess less than BMW. The pump in my bike had been replaced by the PO and he had used an aftermarket pump and had replaced the damper with split fuel line inside the clip. I have seen that described on the web somewhere, perhaps the IBMWR site. Anyway the pump had failed and I had to redo. The split fuel line solution looked a bit hacked to me and it did not hold the pump very well. I liked the bike and was thinking I would keep it for a while so I bit the bullet and went with the aforementioned kit. The kit cost about $200 less than the parts from BMW and worked well. Their service was also VERY good.

'91 K 75s
'99 R 1100 GS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:52 pm
Enthusiast

Just "thinking out loud", but if you had an immersible pump that pulled fuel from a hose/nipple, you could connect its intake to a fuel filter. A big filter with enough volume might provide some dampening against the sloshing of the fuel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode