0.6 to 0.8 mpg per mph - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 9:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

0.6 to 0.8 mpg per mph

I took a short road trip recently, where I had the freedom to ride one day at 65mph, one day at 70mph, and one day riding at 75mph. I got 45 mpg, 42 mpg, and 38.2 mpg on the three days. It looks like I was getting 0.6 mpg to 0.8 mpg improvement in fuel efficiency, per mile-per-hour reduction of my highway speed... at least within the range of 65 to 75 mph. Overall, the difference between 65 mph and 75 mph was about 7 mpg, or about an 18% reduction in fuel use, by slowing-down from 75 mph to 65 mph (8.7% reduction in speed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Veteran

MPG is a weird thing.

In the Prius, I average 44 MPG with Chevron gas on its Info screen. If I use Shell, it goes up to 47 MPG. Don't know why, but might be additive differences. I've seen it hit 52 MPG in the San Francisco Bay area too, but I attribute that to the A/C not being needed as much as in the desert Valley. This is all in California, fwiw.

If I go out of state, it stays up around the 47-48 MPG numbers no matter what brand. Guess the CA gas is watered down a bit for the privilege of cleaner air (cough. cough.).

If I forget what gas I filled with last time, I can just hit the Info screen and see the numbers and know if it was Shell or Chevron gas. Someday I'm going to dump a can of racing fuel in it and see what happens to the numbers.

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 11:50 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Someday I'm going to dump a can of racing fuel in it and see what happens to the numbers.
Racing fuel in a Prius...awesome. First, make sure you don't unknowingly have the free auto-accelerate upgrade :-)

As for the MPG check, sounds interesting. I may try the same on my K75 just to see what I get. Was that on the K100? What octane fuel do you burn?

Scot
1993 K75S - 'Black Francis'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smejan
As for the MPG check, sounds interesting. I may try the same on my K75 just to see what I get. Was that on the K100? What octane fuel do you burn?
Yes, this was on a K100LT. I usually use the lowest (87 AKI), which has 10% ethanol in my state. On this trip, I had the choice of going to 0% ethanol, or else to mid-grade with 10% ethanol, so I chose the mid-grade/"silver" with E-10 (just to try to keep things consistent).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 7:53 pm

jeez

Jeez, Rema, is that all these K75s get? How about the rest of you? 40 to 45 mpg typical?

See, I get better than that on my heavy R1200CLC with two fatties aboard and a crapload of luggage chugging through the West Virginia mountains. When I first got her, before the ethanol boondoggle, I'd get 55mpg at 60mph, 50 at 80mph. Since ethanol, I get 50mpg at 60 and 45 at 80. Regular gas. Tested over 1,000 mile stretches.

My KLR650 with primitive technology carburettors, knobby tires, and geared for dual sport gets 57mpg at 60. Stop and go commute in bitter cold Winter I can get as low as 50. Granted, that's 100cc less. But it's a piece of crap, designed by idiots and manufactured by penny pinching fumblefingers.

I would have expected this K75 to at least equal the KLR, mileage-wise.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2010, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

My day-to-day average for all riding is about 43 mpg on the K75 and 38 mpg on the K100, so 11.6% less fuel used on the K75. On this trip, the K100 got 45 mpg at 65 mph, so I might hope for about 50 mpg at sustained 65mph on the K75.

The K100 MPG does seem a bit low to me. I only get into the 40's on highway rides; never on daily mixed city/highway driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode