Too Much Of A Good Thing: Epoxy Coating the Fuel Tank - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Too Much Of A Good Thing: Epoxy Coating the Fuel Tank

Well, I decided to fix my corroded, leaking K75 fuel tank by coating the thing with epoxy resin from Caswell Plating: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Overall the process went well, and the material is super-tough.

The unique design of the K-Bike fuel tank adds some complexity to the process, especially the final step, where the instructions mandate leaving the tank upside down to drain excess resin.

My leak was at the lowest point, so I saw no harm in letting what seemed like a small amount of excess resin pool up and add extra strength. Not smart!

The hardened pool is too thick, and I no longer have enough clearance to install the fuel pump!

I've pretty much written the experiment off as a loss, but I thought I might consult the finely-tuned minds online and see if anyone had a suggestion. So far the only thing I can think of is scooting the fuel pump up the rubber surround so that it doesn't reach down as far towards the bottom of the tank.

Anybody got a 93-95 gas tank in Classic Black they want to sell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:50 am
Addict

why not get a dremel or something and get rid of some of the epoxy? how much is a "little"??

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

There's a good half-inch too much epoxy, and its way down at the bottom, underneath the fuel-tank bracket where its very hard to reach with tools.

When thin, the stuff doesn't swell much in curing, but when thick it seems to almost double!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode