Rear shock absorber leaking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:25 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear shock absorber leaking

I just discovered oil leaking onto the final drive and wheel of my K75C. It seems to me the oil is coming from the shock absorber. Is there any way to fix this other than replacing it? (I'm a complete newbie at this, as you can tell.)

Leak
Shock leak

Thanks,
Frode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Can you find the manufacturer of the the shock from looking at it? Some of the higher end shocks can be rebuilt for a price. Some can't be rebuilt and will need to be completely replaced.

A new shock can be expensive depending on what you get. Seems like a lot of people have been happy with the Realm Shock from this thread.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21853

A good price it seems too.

You can search around the boards for other shocks, Progressive, Olhins (best but $$$), Hagon...

Its an easy swap once you decide to swap the leaking one out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Enthusiast

If it's the stock shock pitch it and go with an aftermarket variety. They are not worth rebuilding, not sure if they can be.

1987 RED K75S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:12 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The stockers can't be rebuilt. And you wouldn't want to waste the money on it if they could. They're not exceptionally bad, just not exceptionally good either.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 5:17 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, thanks for the help. Is there any way to make sure it's the shock that's leaking? I don't suppose there's anything else that can be expected to douse the shock in oil and dirt? I took the bike for a little drive yesterday and noticed the speedometer started "slipping"... the needle fell down to zero a couple of times (at speed). The oil spill surrounded the speedo sensor in the FD, I believe, can this be related? I guess I should have a look at that sensor thing.. or is there something else that tends to cause this speedo problem?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 3:35 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I ordered the Realm shock from beachcomber. I'm still not 100% certain the oil was coming from the shock, but that sock wasn't looking very healthy either way. I suppose the next step is to check the oil in the FD. Good way to get acquainted with the bike, which I need to do anyhow.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 9:29 am

Judging from your pics it looks quite likely to be the shock. The final drive will normally pool right under the drain plug. You may want to lube the spline while you have the shock off if you don't know when it was done last...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:25 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodef
Well I ordered the Realm shock from beachcomber. I'm still not 100% certain the oil was coming from the shock, but that sock wasn't looking very healthy either way. I suppose the next step is to check the oil in the FD. Good way to get acquainted with the bike, which I need to do anyhow.
Smell the oil. If it's stinky with sulfur then it's gear oil coming from the FD.

The FD should be filled to the bottom of the threads of the filler hole.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2010, 4:50 am Thread Starter
Rookie

While I'm waiting to get my hands on the Realm shock I'm doing some city driving with the old shock. Thing is, every time I hit the smallest bump in the road, I get a kick in the butt more or less. Certainly doesn't feel right. However I thought that a leaking damper would cause the shock to act "springy" (i.e. without damping), and not simply like there's no shock absorbing going on almost at all.

So this is mostly of academic interest since I'm replacing this shock soon, but still: any perspectives on this? Would it mean that both the spring and the damper are shot?

Also, when I stress the fork suspension(s), they give a noticeable puffing noise.. is that a bad sign?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2010, 9:24 am

Frodef,

should be sorted real soooon.

OK - when the dampening goes away [ leaking shock ] the spring is "boinging away" [ that's the techie term !! ].

That doesn't mean to say that the spring IS knackered, but.........................

We [ I include myself up until recently ] ALL take our suspension for granted - together with the tyres IT'S OUR ONLY CONTACT WITH MOTHER EARTH.

How often do you check your tyre pressures / condition ? At least 2-3 times month MIN I would guess. How often do you check your shox ? EVER ??? And if that wasn't bad enough - how often do you check the condition of your front springs / oil levels? Less than ever probably.

Virtually EVERY RAM customer has come back saying the antics of the front end are not pleasant - and emphasised by the fact that the rear end is now working!

I had excatly the same with my 3 projects - one spring [ K1100 ] was actually broken in two - and NONE of the six legs had the correct amount of oil.

That's precisely why I went off on the next mission - to get some decent matching front progressive springs. I fitted a set of Hagons to the K1100 with the busted spring - what a revelation. Acting with the RAM rear in perfect harmony [ that's an English joke BTW ].

Thinking was - if the Hagon gives that much improvement [ excellent product BTW ] - how much BETTER would a compatibly matching spring be?

As before, RAM front progressive now coming to the end of the road test period. Track day was conducted 2 weeks ago - with a qualified looney [ er track day warrior ] aboard.

He improved on the previous best improvement [ RAM shock alone - same bike ] of 3 seconds - by another 2.2 seconds. That's 5 secs [ give or take ] over stock set OEM up on a closed circuit - giving it beans.

He's so impressed, he's just sold his Fireblade and ordered an S1000RR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Ram-Man in the US is now Bill - satisfied customer and well impressed - sufficiently to put himself in the firing line as our point of contact / distributor Stateside.

Beachcomber
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode