K75S bag removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

K75S bag removal

Well,
I have had the bike for a couple of weeks (not road-worthy yet) and have wondered many times since purchasing how in the @#^%$ to get the bags off. i have unlocked the chassis locks but it only moves a little bit before it collides with the rear blinker lights.....i feel really stupid but have searched for saddlebag removal and haven't found anything.

here is the bag on my bike...

thanks in advance...

john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:57 pm
Enthusiast

Don't feel bad, there are threads on this. Unlatch front (frame) lock, swing bottom of bag away from bike, slide backwards till it bumps blinker, lift straight up.

If that doesn't work, cuss, have a beer or two and try again. I have had the z-bracket that holds the bag come loose from the bike, making the bag a total bitch to get off.

1987 RED K75S
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 9:11 am
Enthusiast

Wait until they don't stay on the bike
I had the newer style lock bags on my K75S - not sure of the older style - They look like a PITA - Trying to open your panniers - when the bike is loaded up - trying to find the lock to open your bag. I guess that's why they changed / reversed them. I would also strap the bags to the case mount / frame as insurance. No yard sale on the highway. Over time the bags will get looser on the mt. bracket

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:07 am

Well now I don't feel so lonely. The cases on my 1990 KRT slide on like butter, but they can be devilish to remove. Try what Chaos recommended. I would add: don't try to do it in a hurry. You'll get frustrated and might break something. I kneel down beside the case (Knox knee armor makes this position almost comfortable), unlock the case from the frame and pull that latch out of its holder, then work the case forward and back while applying "some " upward pressure. Shouldn't need a lot of force. With the arm facing the rear of the bike, I get that forearm completely under the case and use it to lift. A wiggle here, a wiggle there, continuing that upward pressure, the case will come off. And when it comes off it does so very gently and easily, and you;'ll wonder what was the problem???
Anyway, easy does it and don't be in a hurrry, you'll get the hang of it.
Steve
1990 K75RT
p.s. That's a nice looking S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

...i did drink 7 beers and they majically came right off (well, the right one came off)....thanks gang

(just kiddin'.....that ain't me)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:32 am

I feel like I should add this to the 'you know you own a old k bike when' thread.

Even when I was traveling and removing the bags every night for a few months in a row, every now and then one side just wouldn't budge. You're hot, tired and the last thing you want to do is wrestle with the luggage. The locals just stare at you as you swear and struggle with the thing, I'd take a break, take a deep breath, whisper sweet nothings to the bike and normally it come right off. I just lived with the fact that German girls can be temperamental.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman
I feel like I should add this to the 'you know you own a old k bike when' thread.

Even when I was traveling and removing the bags every night for a few months in a row, every now and then one side just wouldn't budge. You're hot, tired and the last thing you want to do is wrestle with the luggage. The locals just stare at you as you swear and struggle with the thing, I'd take a break, take a deep breath, whisper sweet nothings to the bike and normally it come right off. I just lived with the fact that German girls can be temperamental.
no kiddin'...i didn't do too much swearin' (but i didn't have an audience). i haven't put 'em back on yet either....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 8:32 pm

A set of bag liners is well worth the investment. When you get to where you're going, just take the bags out of the cases and leave the cases on the bike.
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac829
A set of bag liners is well worth the investment. When you get to where you're going, just take the bags out of the cases and leave the cases on the bike.
Steve
1990 K75RT
i've been looking at them on flea-bay...looks like a great idea but don't know how dry they will keep stuff (haven't ridden in the rain so i don't know how dry the bags are without liners)...but i do like the idea
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2010, 1:12 pm

My cases are 20 yrs old and have seen 70,000 miles. When I bought the bike (I'm 3rd owner) I wondered about how watertight the cases might be, too. So far, no water intrusion...and I have ridden in some hard rain. My cases arent' in perfect shape, but BMW must have done something right when they designed them.
If I didn't have the bags (they came w/the bike) I would just use a duffel or plastic trash bag, anything to spare me the agony of cases on, cases off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode