Oil Pan Leak - 1986 K75C - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil Pan Leak - 1986 K75C

Basically, is there a gasket for the oil pan, or should there be some liquid seal used there?

So yesterday was oil change day, the first I've done on this bike. After removing the drain plug, and removing the oil filter cover, I discover that my filter wrench doesn't fit well enough on the filter to screw it out. So next step is to just remove the oil pan, right? Done. Used some pliers to grab hold and turn the old filter out and screwed the new filter into place by hand. Cleaned the oil pan and screen while I was down there, as well as replacing the oil filter cover's cap. When the pan was off I noticed that there wasn't any gasket or anything like a sealant on the oil pan. I figured that it would be fine to leave it out, as it's been running fine since I bought it (1 month and 3000 miles ago). So I went ahead and refitted the oil pan, tightening the allen bolts on there hand tight, and replaced the belly pan fairing's bracket. After refilling the oil tank and running the bike for 5 minutes I decided that it was fit to run. So on to the next task of changing the transmission and final drive oil-- easy compared to the oil change.

After letting it sit overnight I rode it to the store and back, let it sit for about half an hour (on the center stand) and then went back out to take a ride through the beautiful back roads of TN. But upon starting the bike there was a light haze of smoke that seemed to come out of nowhere, which smelled of oil. So I got down on my knees to take a look and saw that there was fresh oil basically all over the oil pan. Seemed to be coming from everywhere (though not from the oil filter cover and I'd hoped). But seeing as it wasn't dumping oil I decided to take a ride anyways. Ended up being about 75 miles and I rechecked the oil pan when I got back home. Still covered in oil, but there was only a few drops in the belly pan.

Did I just forget to use some sealant on the pan do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 3:59 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I'd try some Permatex Form-a-Gasket. Clean the surfaces well with some solvent first though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2010, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry for the delay. Work and school is kicking my ass lately. But I used some Permatex and it made for a perfect fix, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode