Brakes coming on for no reason - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 4:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brakes coming on for no reason

My 1999 K1100LT has just started showing a problem. I am travelling along and without warning the brakes engage slightly - enough to shock - and the warning light comes on and stays on until I depress both front and back. I can then travel for a few seconds, minutes or for the rest of the journey without issue. I can also continue to travel at speed with the light on but feeling like something is not right. I've read threads about the light coming on being solved by changing the rear bulb and I've just done that but the fact that the brakes themselves activate worries me more - any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:57 pm

When was the last time the brake hoses have been replaced.

Have heard of issues with the internal hose lining degrading and acting like a one-way valve not allowing the calipers to release and float.

Just a thought.

Ride safe

1997 K1100LT
1995 K1100LT
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:33 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Anderson
When was the last time the brake hoses have been replaced.

Have heard of issues with the internal hose lining degrading and acting like a one-way valve not allowing the calipers to release and float.

Just a thought.
BTDT but I can't see how that would make the brakes engage spontaneously of their own volition. I've never heard of it happening before but if the light's coming on then it MIGHT be a freaky modulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:59 pm
Rookie

Could it be an ABS pump/pumps activating for some reason?

Are the brakes linked on your bike?

I just worked on a pick-up recently that would activate the outlet valves in the ABS and apply just enough of the brakes to get them hot and smoke them without full engagement. Customer only notices the smoke but claims to never notice any slowing of vehicle. (I think she applies more fuel when it slows down without even realizings she is doing it.)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Seems to be better...

Thanks for replying folks. Since posting I've done three commutes to work (~300 miles) without issue. The night I posted the message I changed the rear lamp (not the brake bulb).

Could there have been something in the warning light ciruitry that was tripping the ABS?

Anyway all appears to be fine now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode