seeking sneakers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:58 am Thread Starter

seeking sneakers

Kay was parked unridden for too many years before I resued her. All rubber inside the tank turned to goo. I cleaned out what I could, replaced all the innards with a beemerboneyard kit, serviced the injectors, changed oil, trannie lube, final lube, air filter, oil filter, etc., swapped in an old old battery I had sitting around, and fired her up last Saturday. Leapt right to life. Now she purrs like a kitten.

Special thanks to whoever here recommended the beemerboneyard kit. Everything I needed except for a couple rubber hoses. Still too much money, but way less than MSRP.

Special thanks to whoever here recommended Mister Injector. Quick service, low price, nice report, and the garage ants and I both enjoyed the enclosed Jolly Rogers.

So the next step is to replace her hard as a rock twelve year old tires. I am inclined to make a commuter slash iron butt out of this machine; so I am thinking about Dunlops, because they give you such a soft ride. I do NOT need to impress anyone with how deep my pockets are right now, despite the fact that our gummint assures us the recession ended sixteen months ago. Nor do I need to brag how tight I can carve the twisties. I could give a rabbit fart if $150 more gives me a super sticky compound. So I am simply looking for soft ride tires at a good price. I run ME880s on my other beemer; Kenda knobbies on my KLR; so you see my tire choice is eclectic, price-wise.

The Dunlop site recommends D404s. Specs say 100/90 18 front and 130/90 18 rear. Here's the prob: I can find the front any number of places, but I can't seem to find the 130/90 18 rear for sale at any of the usual suspects. I see 120/90, but no 130/90.

Anyone know of a source or of an alternative?

Thanks

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:29 am

You probably want to throw a 140/80-17 on the rear as I think that's what most people run. Its gives you a fair amount of selection, Bridgestone BT 45, Metzler Marathon ME 880, Dunlop D404, seem to be most common. I get mine from motorcycle superstore which has a decent selection, other places have about the same stock/price.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:52 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Best bang for buck and a good tire: Bridgetsone Spitfire

2nd the rec on buying from Motorcycle Superstore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:11 am

I ran the 404's on my Suzi GS650 and they do not last well at all, and that's nearly half the power. I am totally on board with your plan of action, lower my price and just get it on the road, but all said and done I can't imagine getting anywhere near the value from the 404's. I went with the Elite II for the next rear and it lasted years compared to less than a year.

any other touring tire should be a good bet I would imagine, but I've rather sworn off the 404's as a rear tire. I think they would be fine as a front, and I have also had good luck with mismatched sets, although I have not tried it on the BMW?

best 'O luck!!

===================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler
/1960 BSA A10 Super Rocket (basket)
/1981 Suzi GS650
/1988 BMW K100LT (in Lisbon)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:18 am Thread Starter

sneakers

Ordered Bridgestone Spitfires at Cycle Gear. Should be on by end of week.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Spitfire logevity

Got 9k out of my spitfire rear. Could have gotten maybe another thou, but with frosty weather here early I'd rather have lotsa tread. Slapped on a new Spitfire Saturday while sleet rattled on the garage eaves, in fact.

So is 9k about right for these?

Put in 42 psi. Rode her to the office this morning, 30 degrees out. Back tire feels hard. May loosen that up a bit. Whatta ya'll run a Spitfire rear at? Weich 210 lbs, use this bike for commuting and errands.

D

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Special thanks to whoever here recommended Mister Injector. Quick service, low price, nice report, and the garage ants and I both enjoyed the enclosed Jolly Rogers.
Whew! I received the Jolly Rogers candies as well in my returned injectors from Mr. Injector......there was a tear hole in the envelope the size of the candies and I was wondering if some 'crazy' stuffed candies in my envelope thru the hole!! Paranoid or what....but I ate the candies anyway. : )
Nice touch in service eh?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 6:55 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Got 9k out of my spitfire rear. Could have gotten maybe another thou, but with frosty weather here early I'd rather have lotsa tread. Slapped on a new Spitfire Saturday while sleet rattled on the garage eaves, in fact.

So is 9k about right for these?

Put in 42 psi. Rode her to the office this morning, 30 degrees out. Back tire feels hard. May loosen that up a bit. Whatta ya'll run a Spitfire rear at? Weich 210 lbs, use this bike for commuting and errands.

D
I ran them at 38-40 rear, 32-34 front. 170 pound rider and 60-70ish pounds of luggage.

Only had them on one K75 so far and sold it after 1,000+ miles os can't comment on mileage.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 8:38 pm
Enthusiast

Got my K75s new Spitfires a couple months ago from BikeBandit. Unreal prices, $70.88 rear, $51.49 front. Happy with them so far. Been running about 32f and 42r.

1987 RED K75S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode