high speed wobble - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

high speed wobble

Bike is a 1989 K100RS. 10t/original miles. The other day I experienced a high speed wobble. Do not care to experience another! Entering a very long yield curve at aprox 50mph. There was a long crack in the asphalt that had been repaired, but still had a depression. I shoulder checking for traffic, bike ended up in the crack and the front began to wobble, quiet severely. Was able to ride it out. Tires are new 3 months ago, tire pressure is good. Bike has never done anything out of the ordinary. This bike does not have a damper like my 1998 K1200RS. Can one be retroffited or does anyone sell a bolt on damper. Anything else that may have caused this? Cheers. Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Rookie

I'd say you hit that crack just right.

Grooves in the pavement on staright stretches will do the same thing.

As rare as those instances are, I wouldn't spend money on a damper IMHO.

Just ride it out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:36 pm

21 year old bike with such low miles - I'm guessing the steering head bearings and grease are original and possibly past their best.
Worth double checking that they don't just need tightening up a bit.

But then again..... leant over in a famously wobbly mph bracket, caught unawares and maybe a bit unbalanced from the head-check, (accelerating?) into a 'lengthways' rut is always a potential test of man and (old design) machine.

you got her through, captain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 12:30 am
Noob

Stand in front of the bike with it sitting on both wheels. (No center stand, etc.) Put a leg on each side of the front wheel and grab the handlebars and pull the front brake on. Now try real hard to pull the handlebars forward. If the triple clamp bearings are loose the bike will move forward and the rake of the forks will rock forward. If this happens the bearings are loose. I had this happen to me about a million years ago on a road racer and it shocked me how easy it was to check the tightness of the bearings. Hopefully the bike isn't too heavy for you to do this. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 2:49 am
Noob

I had a wobble, mine was a hands off tankslapper if going through 55-60mph up or down,white lines were a buttock clencherand cracks in the road the same
-first thing headrace bearings, they are not expensive if you DIY-that made the 55-60 wobble less severe.

Radial tyres and a bigger rear wheel-Ihave used a k1100rs wheel with a 160/60/18-no wobble at all-very stable even cranked over and ok in the wet.
You have to modify a few bits to fit the wheel and fit a 1100 center stand and remove the rear caliper to fit and remove the wheel, It also lowers the rear and lowers the gearing-about 6%, not a lot but you notice it.

I have at the moment a K1100lt rear wheel(17x3 with a 140/80/17 tyre-you can go to a 150/70/17)-this needs no mods and you do not have to remove the rear caliper to fit

The other thing i have done recently was replace the swingarm bearings-a pain of a job and £30 each side and only from BMW, this helped as well.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode