which pannier gasket - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 9:08 am Thread Starter

which pannier gasket

My 1990 K75C sports a pair of BMW panniers which have no gaskets between lid and case. At the ascycles.com on-line fiche I find part number 46.54.2.316.391 for one side and ~.392 for the other side at 53.47 each. At the maxbmw on-line fishe I find part number 46542300042 for both sides at 5.88 each. These prices are worlds apart, though the part numbers aren't that far apart. Am I looking at typos? Is there something else I should try?

TIA

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 9:31 am

I'm not sure what the first part your looking at is, i googled it and it does show a gasket of some sort, but not sure why you'd need a left and right since the gasket could just be flipped.

Pretty sure the second link is correct - 46542300042 - should be like 5-8 bucks for a what is really just a piece of rubber that is set in the groove.

FYI. I've had good luck having the cases seal 99% water tight. Sometimes the cases warp depending on the abuse they've taken.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 9:46 am Thread Starter

two different gaskets

A Bob's BMW parts guy tells me there are two different gaskets. One fits an earlier design "integral case". It's basically a bit of hollow rubber tube. He says it didn't work very reliably, and was therefore supplanted by a later model more rectangular piece of weatherstripping which had to be left and right since it had one side up. That's the one comes for 54 clams. I told him my groove was 3/16" across. He told me that's the skinny five buck tube one.

The only puzzle left is why they call it an integral case when it pops right off. But, anyhoo...

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:44 am

There is a nugget of k trivia for ya.

I'd have a hard time dropping a hundred bucks for new gaskets if I had those cases, might have to get some silicon cocking and see what could be done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:56 am Thread Starter

window screen bead

My first brainstorm when I thought I might be facing a hunnerdten clams for gasket was window screen bead -- the neoprene stuff you hold screens into screen frame with. That would probably do the skinny kind of gasket I have to replace. As it turns out, tho, I have a friend trekking to Bob's BMW Wednesday, and they have the five clam gasket I need in stock.

My second brainstorm if you have the wider 54 buck seal would be McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com). I'll bet a fat man they have some kinda gasket would work. Those guys have everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode