1986 K75C won't start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

1986 K75C won't start

I recently bought a 1986 BMW K75C and I just replaced the spark plugs, coolant, oil, recharged the battery, and put gas in it. The problem is, that it will now not start. It started right up prior to all of this maintenance work. I tried opening the choke, pulling the clutch lever, etc. It whines like its trying to start, but will never catch. I can hear the fuel being shot into the engine. The spark plugs are the correct ones, with the cap on the end, and gapped correctly. Also, when I twist the throttle, when it's trying to start, it makes a sucking/popping sound, almost like when you twist the cork off of a bottle of wine. The sucking sound is coming from the intake. I tested the spark plugs, and they spark, and all of the electronics work. AAANNNYYYYY HELP AT ALL WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

Last edited by blinddude1024; Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:28 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2010, 4:37 am
Rookie

Maybe you need to recharge (or change) the battery? I had a bad battery, and the starter would just make a "whirrr" if I tried to start the engine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Nevermind, I can't get it to start, so if anyone wants a 1986 k75c with 78,000 miles on it, check the motorcycle section of baltimore craigslist, and make me an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 1:53 am

Check you can hear the fuel pump while you're cranking it. Did you have the tank off and not reconnect the fuel pump connector?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtel
Check you can hear the fuel pump while you're cranking it. Did you have the tank off and not reconnect the fuel pump connector?
What a great call! I did exactly that after having my tank off this spring. Had some difficulty re-positioning the tank and inserting the c-clip holders. By the time I was done with that, I had completely forgotten the fuel pump connecter. Took me a couple hours of head scratchin' to figure it out...
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:27 am
Rookie

Troubleshooting Start Chart:

Full Troubleshooting write-up here Very informative!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 1:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Got it started!!! Literally hours before I was going to sell it, I said to myself, let me check the spark plug wire distributor and make sure the wires are on the right plugs. Well, they weren't, so now it's working and it is not for sale! Thanks for all of your help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:13 am

poop

Well poop. And here I was scanning Baltimore craigslist ads looking for your bargain.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:59 am

Haha, yeah I just checked on there as well. My GF could use a bike and figured I could get it up and running

Glad you got it working! Always the stupid shit that causes the most trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode