speedo & backfiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2010, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

speedo & backfiring

Paid the state extortion to get Kay licensed today. She's on the road. Runs smooth as stone washed silk. Reminds me an awful lot of the R1100R named Acela which I briefly owned. Pulls with the same solid feel, ergos about identical; except that this Corbin is very comfy, whereas the Russell on the R1100R I just could never get set right on; always had me sliding forward. Of course, Acela pulled hard at much lower RPMs. But once you hit 4K, Kay takes off like a bullet train on a mission. OTOH, where Acela throbbed, Kay whishes.

Two minor things, possibly related, puzzle me:

1) Speedo is deader than disco. Now, surprisingly, the turn signals self cancel just fine. I have to think that it requires a combination of distance and time or speed and time to turn the signals off. If this is true, then the sensor feed must be working all the way up to some place the other side of self cancel.

2) She backfires on hard engine deceleration. I thought I read somewhere that the brain shuts down the injectors under engine braking. If that's so, then the brain must gauge that the throttle is closed yet we are under way, so shut down the injectors. If this is true, then the sensor feed must quit working before it gets to here.

So, if my guesses are worth a crap, then the disconnect comes somewhere between the "self cancel my signals" decision and the "shut down for engine braking" decision. Anyone know where that may be? Or are my assumptions full of it?

Other than that, I am putting new gaskets in the panniers, lubing the splines, and riding the hell out of her.

TIA

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:05 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Mission Statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDuck
Here at WebMost, our mission is to facilitate cognitional processes within the parameters of effective paradigms, utilizing diverse stochastic and heuristic methodologies to offer unparalleled services in directed and undirected endeavors.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Haha.

as far as backfiring. I always enjoyed that I could make it backfire at will.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=16659

The sensor might need adjusted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Enthusiast

Your CPU is innocent. Your speedo pod has flakey internal contacts (probably after whatever dominates the self canceling, as you surmised) The backfiring is normal and can be influenced by adjusting the TPS. Or the TPS may be dead. Plenty of info on fixing the pod out there, good winter project.

1987 RED K75S
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 12:06 am
Enthusiast

Regarding the Speedo, first things first:

• The sensor wire has a connector under the right side body panel. I'd clean it before tearing into "the pod".
  • Clean the connector to the dashboard "pod", before attacking the pod itself.
  • I think the instument pod is "read-only": fixing the speedo will probably not fix the backfires.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 5:54 am

good timing of this question for me, my speedo started responding slowly just as I watched the pod bounce harshly going over a speed bump. I thought "Wow, that really shakes, I'm glad it can withstand such abuse" mere seconds later it was reading obviously half of what it should have.

So I'll look for the connection on the right side, but there is also one on the back of the pod?

Someone mentioned the fine art of a sharp rap to bring it back, do you think that is for internal failures?

I agree, the speedo seems like it should be on the end of the circuit, not providing feedback to the fuel or ignition.

===================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler
/1960 BSA A10 Super Rocket (basket)
/1981 Suzi GS650
/1988 BMW K100LT (in Lisbon)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 1:57 pm

My speedo started dying intermittently this summer. Found the connector on the right side, disconnected it , cleaned it up w/WD40, put her back together and it has worked fine for a couple thousand miles now. It's funny...I didn't miss the speedo function so much..but I really missed the odometer function. Glad to have it back..
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

trippy tripmeter trips a chain reaction

So I'm getting gas on my way to handball, and I'm waiting for a slow connection to credit card central, and I get to fiddling with the trip meter, which has been stuck at 8.3 miles ever since I bought Ocelot, and I reset the thing to zero. I don't know why. Makes no sense. The odo and speedo don't work, so there's no sense in resetting the trip meter, cause it doesn't go around.

Three tenths of a mile down the road...... what the F? Happen to look down and her trip meter is tripping. Before the next light, the odo starts up. Right after that, the speedo cuts loose. At first, the speedo was like it had a five pound needle. I'd get up to a speed, and the needle would slowly float up. I'd come to a halt, and it would slowly drift down. By the time I got to the Y, it was a two pound needle. By the time I got home, maybe a half pound needle.

I am still going to take the doodad apart and lubricate whatever I can find. But I now think it had just gotten sticky from sitting so long in one spot.

Yazzah. One more chore behind us.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:09 pm
Enthusiast

Keep this secret, but K bikes can heal themselves.

1987 RED K75S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode