removing fairing from 85 k100 rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

k100rs to k100 naked

I edited and rewrote this post because I think my first request for advice might have been too broad.

Here is some background and what I am planning. I have had this bike for about 15 years/70K miles and I am ready for a change. I can only have one bike so I considered selling it and trying a Triumph but I am having a hard time letting the k bike go. It has always run great and Iíve never had any real problems with it. I also have learned to maintain it and work on it and feel confident in digging into it when something does break. So, I am now considering keeping it but customizing it somewhat and turning it into a different bike. At this point my customizing ideas are pretty modest but Iíve never done this sort of thing before so I am trying to research it and figure out if I can do it. I joined this group and wrote to this forum because in searching the internet Iíve only been able to find small bits and pieces on stripping down an rs.

Here is what Iíd like to do:

First step:
Remove Fairing
Add Headlight, mirrors and turn signals
Protect radiator

Step Two:
Replace speedometer/tachometer unit with something smaller.
Move ignition key and remove the big plastic pad to expose handlebars

Step 3:
Remove seat and plastic tail section and replace with a custom seat.

Step 4:
Polish or paint aluminum (wheels, engine, gas tank, etc)

------------

Right now I am just focusing on the first step and this is what I am thinking:

To replace the headlight I would need to buy some aftermarket headlight ears and a headlight. Iím not sure if it is easier or better to buy these new or to try to find used ones off another bike. With the ears the headlight seems easy to mount. I am not sure what will happen with the electrical. Is it just a matter of cutting the wires and putting them into a new connector?

To protect the radiator there seems to be the option of installing a shroud off a k100. I assume it would fit my RS and mount onto my tank but finding a used shroud might be difficult. Iíve seen them left without any protection but I would probably try to strap on a metal grill at least to protect it from rocks and bugs.

Also, there is the plastic ďtubeĒ that leads the air through the fairing into to the air filter box. I am assuming it is not a problem to leave this off.

Any comments or tips or warnings would be very much appreciated.

The photos are the two bikes that I am using for inspiration:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-cafe-racer-2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	12628   Click image for larger version

Name:	k100_211gr.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	12629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manfred_Mayr_gross.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	12630  

Last edited by kringb; Oct 13th, 2010 at 2:21 pm. Reason: clarification of question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 3:28 pm

K100 Body

Basically what you need is K100 Body work. There's the rad shroud and some filler pieces that go back from that to the tank area (depending on year/model).

That Air intake goes up into the rad shroud just like it does on your current bike so I suspect you should keep it. Who knows what strange havoc air going past just the air box opening could play on your intake situation.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 4:42 pm

love the yellow one.

as I understand it air scoops do two things in theory: ram volume of air due to forward motion, and make sure it's colder and denser than air taken from directly around the engine. both of these allow the engine to burn more fuel and more effectively = more power

as far as I can see all modern bikes use this sort of scoop. It wasn't always the case, but as the K was built with a scoop, I'm not sure you should bin it.

search BMW K100rs streetfighter youtube by nungmee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rblq9XQG6TE - not as pretty as the yellow one, but shows a straightforward homemade grill with scoop just clamped on the side.

BTW Beachcomber on here has cafe racered/streetfightered a few of these bikes, with single-seat arrangements.

Last edited by Dayglo; Oct 13th, 2010 at 4:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. I had seen that youtube by nungmee but had not paid attention to the grill and air scoop. Since finding a stock radiator shroud seems a little difficult I'll probably try to imitate what he's done. I'm starting to like the look without the shroud anyway.

The video by brian261444, "MovieK100 rat.wmv", is what made me thing you might be able to do without the scoop.

BTW I forgot to mention my bike is an 85 K100rs.

Any tips on the headlight? Is it as simple as I am assuming.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 5:04 pm

I stand corrected...

I didn't think it'd be doable without a rad shroud but it looks fine.

The air intake is attached at the front to that's a none issue... just leave it in place.

he's found a way to mount the rad screen in front of the rad, which is good to protect it from rocks etc.

I love that dual pipe... I want to see how he fabbed that up.

TG

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 5:05 pm

how hard can the headlight be? standard looking connector.

never mind that though, look at the lights on this puppy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU796Cnmb-Y

just needs an electric starter
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 2:15 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Good luck finding a K100 radiator cover. There aren't many around. There's more K75/K75C radiator covers around and those fit OK on a K100 tank. (I did it on one of my bikes.) For any even better fit you could swap in a K75/K75C/K75S tank. Both the K100 and K75 radiator covers have openings for the air "scoop."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks FlyingDuck, that is what I was suspecting.

As a seller of used parts what would you recommend I do with the rs fairing once I remove it? I'd say it is in "fair to fair minus" condition.

Sell it right away
Hold onto it and list it with the bike if/when I sell it someday.
Hold onto it and wait for the prices to appreciate on used worn fairings (are the full fairings getting as rare as the radiatior shrouds?)

What would you say the resale value of a used fairing is?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Hey man, just saw this one up on craigslist. The pics sound like something like what you are looking at doing. Might give you some idea's. The handlebar is decent, odd to see it custom.

Might not be up for long so enjoy while you can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blaineh...th/4973959689/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:47 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks lukeman, that's helpful. And a little sobering. It looks a lot like my bike, same colors and all. Same headlight I was considering. In my mind I'd imagined it would look better. Maybe he just didn't take it far enough. Replacing the the speedometer and seat would do a lot. Plus a number of little details would improve it.

I noticed in one picture that he left the full pad that sits on top of the radiator in. It could be trimmed down considerably. Or removed/

I couldn't see where he moved the ignition key/lock

Last edited by kringb; Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:43 pm. Reason: changed word to correct meaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode