k100rs gremlins ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:30 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile k100rs gremlins ?

hi guys took my k100rs for its first ride on sunday ,has a few gremlins i think on the guages panel the warning light illuminates till i ride off then it goes out ,is this a gremlin or is it telling me something i cant see, the odo dosent work and the fuel guage is dead ,can it be telling me this or is it more ? i have a owners manual coming form bmw in our city hope this may help too
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:35 am
Noob

Is it the warning light for the brake lights? My K 75s has a light in the center panel between the tach and speedo that is for the brake lights. Is that the light?. Tap your rear brake and front brake and see if it goes out after start up. Perhaps that's it. For the other issues do a search here and you should get some hints. For the odo sometimes there is a problem with the plastic gears letting go and for the fuel warning light maybe check the plug under the tank.

'91 K 75s
'99 R 1100 GS

Last edited by ackgs; Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:43 am.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:03 pm

brake warning light

Manual tells me that the center red brake warning light tests both hand and foot brake. As soon as it determines that both lever and pedal will illuminate the brake light, then it goes off. Once you know what it's for, it's easy to get used to.

The odo on my 1990 K75 does not run off gears. It and the speedo both run off a hall sensor plugged into the final drive. Is your K100 different?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile

thankyou for the imfo guys really appreciate it
ocelot i think mine is running off the sensor on final drive ,w /shop manual said to clean it did so but no joy !.will know more i hope when owners manual gets here
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Noob

The gears I mentioned in my above post are in the instrument cluster. Go here http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic...light=odometer there is a picture. Granted that is of an K 1100 RS but from what I can see when I look at the face of my K75 it is similar with the gears at the end of the numeral drum. So the stepper motor drives the gears I believe. I have not had a need to take my cluster apart so needless to say I haven't - I am not that curious yet. I have read but don't know for sure that if your turn signals cancel normally the sensor/signal generator is fine and the problem lies elsewhere. The above thread lists a source for new gears. I had been having a problem over the summer with my speedometer but the odometer worked fine. My speedometer came back to life the next day so I belive the problem was one of the connections I cleaned up. Look around on the various boards I found lots of info about cluster issues at that time.

'91 K 75s
'99 R 1100 GS

Last edited by ackgs; Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:34 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 6:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile

thanks mate i read that post re the gears ,sounds a bit duanting for an old concreter like me
i also read a post re cleaning the connecting plugs etc probally more so re my fuel guageis dead shows nothing will try to get it all sorted out this week ,we plan to do a tour up the east coast here in a month ,looking fwd to getting away for a break
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 1:53 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The bulb monitor unit (BMU) tests four things:

1) Front brake switch
2) Rear brake switch
3) Brake light bulb
4) Tail light bulb

If any of those is not working then the "triangle light" will remain illuminated.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile

thanks ,it goes out as you move off ,dosent stay on i assume it is going thru a test mode each time ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 7:35 am
Noob

Mine tests everytime I start it up.I thought it odd when I first got the bike but got used to it quickly.

'91 K 75s
'99 R 1100 GS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 4:05 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracey
thanks ,it goes out as you move off ,dosent stay on i assume it is going thru a test mode each time ?
If it's flashing until you move then that's the ABS. The ABS control unit cannot test the sensors to know if they're working until the bike is in motion.

If it's a non-ABS bike then the solid light goes out after you hit both brakes, moving or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode