K100 Rs Luggage System - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2010, 3:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile K100 Rs Luggage System

Hi all really appreciate all the advice so far you,ve all posted ,it seemed a silly question i guess re the warning light because as it turned out it is a great idea as a saftey chk to chk brake light each time you start off press both brake systems and it is all ok ,no warning light
what a buzz these bikes are to ride !
are begining to plan our trip the rs has paniers but i would like more storage ,will a ventura rack system work with the panniers or do you need to sacrifice the paniers re the brackets etc to mount a ventura rack and bag or am i better with a bmw top box ?i have allways used gearsack bags and racks so this is all new too me ,you,ve would have all laughed your guts out if you could have seen me trying to work out how to get the panniers off ,thers a nack to it ? slide ,lift, swear and curse ,walk away come back off it comes
last question the little rack on the rs now, is that for a specific type of box or just a tie down rack
cheers all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2010, 6:57 am
Noob

Hi. If you don't need a double seat check out my post re K series police single seat storage in this section (buy and sell).
Regards, Ben.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracey
last question the little rack on the rs now, is that for a specific type of box or just a tie down rack
cheers all
If you are talking about the OEM optional rack, that thing does not have much of a load rating, it is only bolted through the plastic. BMW used to sell a nylon bag that worked with that rack, only held maybe a change of clothes...and mine only lasted a couple years before it fell apart. But nowadays there is quite a lot of soft bags available that could work well with that rack.

But what they say is true.....look at all the crap you want to take on a trip and leave half of it behind....!!!!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2010, 3:33 pm
Enthusiast

On my 85 K100RS

Did a fair amout of long distance travel and camping. Assuming you're not doing two up, you can carry quite a bit with both panniers and a standard waterproof duffel strapped across the pillion seat. I also had the 22 ltr factory topcase, but it was primarily for small stuff since it is not large... but it was stylish!

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 1:12 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool

thanks beemer but i need to kit for 2 up ,"she who must be obeyed" is coming too
That is a real nice k of yours
where did you find the bottom half of the fairing or how is it a modification and fit i assume
thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Enthusiast

Lower Fairing

The lower fairing in the picture is from Luftmeister - a long since out of business company. If you like that look, and I did, prowl the sites, that's how I found mine.

Two up = more luggage. I've done the same for weekend trips on this K and did so without the duffel - I told told my GF that she was limited to the larger pannier and the top case. Worked fine for us.

If we'd been camping on this trip it would have been a problem though, since I really don't like excess stuff strapped and hung all over my bikes as a practice.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:00 am

If you get a OEM topcase, (hard to find and expensive) you can use it as a base for stacking a bag on while two up. I put a section of that stuff you put under rugs to prevent sliding on slick floors so it wouldn't slide around. Bag weighed like 30lbs so you can put a fair amount on it. I used belts to secure it to the topcase without issue. A tank bag really does make a big difference.

Bungee stuff to the top of the panniers as well. Had two up all day long without any trouble with all the gear, tent/bags/sleeping pads/stove... Also the nook between the bungeed stuff and and topcase provides a great spot for water bottles and or Pringles.

As for the panniers, you have to pull away the case from the bottom, slide to the back of bike until it hits a bumper and lift straight up. It takes finesse and success isn't always guaranteed. Cursing may help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:06 am Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the pic of you loaded up i will take lots of pics and post a few when we get home
thanks again
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2010, 11:09 am

Perfect carry all stuff PLUS pillion solution...

JO's UPACK!

http://www.josupac.com/main1.html

She is a super person (Lives near me so I've met her) and does great work.

Great thing about the u-pack is that is sits atop the side bags and over the rear rack, thus making a space for your passenger that's sort of enclosed.

The more you pack it with stuff the better it is.

As for getting the bags off, here's the secret handshake...:

There's a small tab in the rear of the bag that keeps it from lifting off the rail when the bag is fully forward and locked on.

Flip out the rear peg

Unlatch the bag and pull the bottom out just enough for the latch to clear.

Slide the bag to the rear about two inches while lifting slightly.. when that tab reaches the end of the rail, you'll feel the bag lift and you can then pull it away from the bike. Once you figure out what that tab is doing, removing the bag becomes easy.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 4:04 am Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks tony i have never seen them before ,what a great idea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode