no slipper clutch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 9:41 am Thread Starter

no slipper clutch?

I grew up in the stone ages when motorcycles had drum brakes. One good thing is that it prevented us from going too fast or following too close. I think that because we knew we couldn't stop we got into better riding habits than the yoots of today who ride 120 HP twin Brembo crotch rockets six feet from the bumper before and all hunkered over in the dog position so that they can be sure to hit that trunk head first. They have never experienced brake fade. But another thing weak drum brakes did for me was to get me into a life long habit of engine braking.

Now, Ocelot seems content north of 4k RPM. Therefore, I have been riding round town in 3rd and 4th at 5k RPM most of the time, shifting at 6k. What I have found is that if I downshift at that RPM I will break the rear wheel loose. I have to cruise north of 4k and downshift south of 2500. Otherwise, the rear wheel will chatter and hop. This has not been my experience with other fast turning bike engines.

Does the K75 not have a slipper clutch? Or is Ocelot's slipper stuck?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:17 am

Think more along the lines of the any old school car/truck clutch and thats what you have on the k100/k75. Spring, pressure plate, clutch plate. Dry.

Rev-matching may be of some use and perhaps slower release of the clutch. Dropping the clutch will normally break my rear end free if I'm not setting up the revs or if I'm riding particularly hooligan like around town. Especially crucial while downshifting for a corner. In a hard corner, the suspension has to be stable and the tires loaded so that all of their traction is being used to generate cornering force. Which i'm sure you already know.

Cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:18 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Personally, I don't do a whole lot of engine braking. I've noticed a fair amount of cruiser riders do though. The one thing they seem to forget is that the vehicles behind them have no clue that they're slowing because their brake lights aren't illuminating. IMO that's a good way to get run down so if you're engine braking be sure to tap one of the brakes lightly so people behind you know that you're slowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2010, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

both, anecdote

You do both, is the thing. It's not one or the other. You hit the rear brake and engine brake at the same time. No sense to complain about no brake lights. Put them on.

Which reminds me of a true story. Friend and fellow member of our local BMW MOA signed up for an all weekend advanced rider course with some fabled guy in VA. A thousand dollars! Why a sixty year old guy who has been riding 30 or 40 years feels he needs a to pay a grand for a weekend rider course is beyond me, but the beemerphiliacs here are all into MSF courses. It's a special paranoia; and a very counter productive paranoia, too. But that's another story.

Anyhoo, so Friday night they get all checked out and lectured, then Saturday they head into the mountains. The exercise this day was all about engine braking. They were supposed to go all day without hitting the brakes. The instructor had confabulated engine braking into some wackadoo Zen experience, from the literature. Two three hours along, the leader encounters a big dog, stops abruptly, number two stops abruptly behind him, and my friend engine brakes... with predictable results.

So here's the funny part: Couple days later, when he and the guy he rear ended get out of the hospital, couple weeks later he bails his bike out of the shop, one deductible later, now the instructor offers him half his grand back. Big of him. What's he do? Tosses in another 500 and signs up for the same idiocy again!

Tellin you. Something else.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Blip...

I throttle blip as I downshift both on the K bike and on my triple.

Makes for a much smoother downshift (not gear the change itself but getting the clutch back out) and SOUNDS so cool (at least on the triple...).

It's become second nature most times.

Makes my rides sound like "The Rendezvous"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSyEarRAKo

(play it LOUD)

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2010, 8:52 pm

I like to use engine braking with my K. Doing so helps me stay in the proper gear for the revs. Of course I like to get the service brakes in on the action , too...share the load. Not to mention waking up the driver behind me. Can't say I've ever downshifted at 6,000rpms tho. I live pretty much between 3500 and 5500. At 6000 I'm over the speed limits around here...
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 7:02 pm

I've recently noticed this as well, the breaking free chirp that means I should have blipped

I have found the K to really have a strong decel with just letting off the throttle, not even gearing down, so I have started using the brake just for light effect.

sorry, nothing to add, just agreement

===================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler
/1960 BSA A10 Super Rocket (basket)
/1981 Suzi GS650
/1988 BMW K100LT (in Lisbon)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode