Fuel Tank Replacement Blues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

94 K75 Fuel Tank Replacement Blues

Hi Folks-

So my 1994 K75 Standard developed the common leaks at the low point in the fuel tank. I tried to repair it with the very-tough Caswell epoxy coating. That would have worked well, but apparently it expands tremendously on curing, and the amount I used caused a large block hardened epoxy to form. The fuel pump would not fit back into place. I tried drilling it out, but its just too tough, and then I poked a hole straight through.

The original tank was stamped M27A4 E03 on the mounting tabs.

After poring over the scare online listings, I gave up on getting on in my original color (Classic Black)

I bought a replacement tank that I believed would fit from a very reasonable online vendor. He gave me a good price, but the tank turned out to be the wrong part. Note: newer K75 Standard tanks have a much wider tunnel for the frame, and wider-spaced front mounting tabs. This replacement tank was narrower. This tank was stamped C F03

I then resolved to buy a tank on ebay that looked just right. It seems to be the right part, but apparently someone repaired the fuel line in/out tubes and they are tilted too far forward. The tank won't mount. Its stamped M2213 A04 E01

More notes, just in case anyone else has this problem: K75RT tanks won't work on the Standard. They use the larger tank from the K100. Also, you need the pin mounts to hold the radiator fairing in place.

At this point I am arranging to send both tanks back to their dealers. I am just about ready to buy a new tank in primer from BMW, just to be sure it will fit.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by bug138; Oct 30th, 2010 at 10:13 pm. Reason: corrected year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:14 pm
Enthusiast

The older tank you bought can be made to work; the wider front mounting points on the frame are simply extensions. Using a pair of pliers, work the extensions out, then reinstall the rubber mounts. The next problem is that your newer fuel pump won't work in the older tank, but buying an old-style pump and mount will fix that, and you'll have more reliable pump.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Actually, I just went out and checked, and the wider mount points on my bike are full-width tubes welded to the frame. No extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54089093
The older tank you bought can be made to work; the wider front mounting points on the frame are simply extensions. Using a pair of pliers, work the extensions out, then reinstall the rubber mounts. The next problem is that your newer fuel pump won't work in the older tank, but buying an old-style pump and mount will fix that, and you'll have more reliable pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 5:35 pm
Enthusiast

Not that it helps you situation any, but JB weld usually works well, my tank was patched with it 6 years ago and it is still holding up OK.

1987 RED K75S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode