K75 side stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K75 side stand

When I push out the side stand on my K75, it will always be pulled back in. That is, there's no position where it will stay extended. This means that resting the bike on the side stand is a quite risky business, as I have to lean the bike over while holding the stand out, and if I let go of the stand too soon it will fold in and the bike will be leaning over with no support.

I suppose this is not by design? Every other bike's side stand I've seen will automatically "stick" in the extended position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 7:08 am

tricky kickstand

This is an odd and inconvenient kickstand, it's true.

First off, some Kraut genius with way too much time on his hands decided to link the kickstand to the clutch lever. I have to either turn the engine off or get her out of gear before the thing will even deploy. I am about to snip the cable that does that.

Secondly, I also have some of the prob you report. I stick the sidestand out, it flops back several inches, I have to engage the kickstand pad with the ground, then roll back, to make sure the stand will fold forward and lock instead of folding aft and dropping the sumbidge. I figure one day I will look into the springs. Maybe they are stretched out.

Third, she leans over so far you wonder if she's going all the way.

Some old airheads had a "switchblade" sidestand that flicked up automagically every time you tilted the bike to vertical. Everyone cussed this feature. There was a little known fix for this, though. I forget just what. A fat slotted screw that you turned half a turn or something. A whole lot of airhead jockeys installed an aftermarket sidestand, I think called a Brown sidestand, when if they had known they could just have twirled this screw. I wonder if the wee brick has a similar screw?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
First off, some Kraut genius with way too much time on his hands decided to link the kickstand to the clutch lever.
Ok, that I didn't know. It's never worked on my bike for the four months I've owned it out of its 24 years of existence. I suppose this could have something to do with the excessively heavy clutch operation too. Time to pull out the wrenches I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 10:36 am

kickclicker

Yep. The idea is that as soon as you pull the clutch the kickstand retracts.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodef
When I push out the side stand on my K75, it will always be pulled back in.
I suppose this is not by design? Every other bike's side stand I've seen will automatically "stick" in the extended position.
It should "stick" in the extended position until the clutch lever is pulled. Then it should fully retract (obviously, if the bike is leaning on the sidestand the clutch will be impossible to pull)
Yours needs adjusting and or cleaning. When it's working right it's a nice feature. I use liberal amounts of WD-40 to clean the grime off the pivot-linkage mechanism. There is a weird nut (#7) on the threaded rod that pulls the sidestand in that you can adjust. If it's not letting the stand extend you may need to back it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	174
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	12722  
bcbuoy likes this.

1987 RED K75S

Last edited by chaos; Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:49 pm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Rookie

I don't know about your particular bike, but my K100RS has two "return springs" on the side stand. The tension on these two springs not only returns the sidestand to stowed positon for riding but it also acts a source of tension to keep the sidestand in the "overcenter" position for parking use. Make sure the return spring(s) are there, are hooked up correctly, and that they have tension on them. I need to replace my springs and sidestand at some point due to wear and fatigue.

If all is good regarding springs and tension make sure to follow Chaos advice to make sure the clutch return rod is adjusted properly to allow for the center stand to actually reach the "overcenter" position.

As for me I really enjoy having the return feature on the sidestand. Especially when I have the bike loaded down for a trip. My personal thought is to not disable that feature since the bikes are not equipped with a sidestand kill swith like my Yamaha Vision. I have watch too many guys at vintage shows and HD cruises pole vault on the side stand due to a momentary lapse in checks before take off.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

If you tighten the special little retractor rod nut to the end of the threads and it's still not retracting all of the way then bending a washer into a little V and adding that can help.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I've looked at the bike now and there's no sign of any sort of linkage to the clutch lever. Some quick googling seems to indicate that there are indeed models without this mecahnism (mine is an '86 K75C, european). And, to enable "sticking" operation, I have to take off (by hack-saw) a metal tap that stops the two retracting springs from settling in the extended position.

So it would appear that the "always auto-retract" is by design. I find this very strange.

The tap I mentioned would make sense if there was a clutch-linked holding mechanism... Perhaps it's a matter of parts being mixed up at assembly (or when some PO replaced something).

Anyhow, I'll take off the tap and the stand should "stick", with zero clutch involvement.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thinking about it some more...

Every other bike I've seen (all of them newer that this '86) had an electronic sensor on the side-stand that ensured you couldn't drive with the stand extended. Typically by killing the engine if the stand was extended and the engine not in neutral.

I've assumed there was such a sensor on this bike too, but I couldn't actually see any. In light of this, things are making a bit more sense: always auto-retracting is one way (albeit very primitive) to ensure you're never driving with the side-stand extended. The clutch linkage thing is another. Must say I'm a bit surprised there's no electronic sensor.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 3:03 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Sometimes people don't like the machanism and remove them. Look at your clutch arm pivot and see if it has one of these slight V shaped things on it:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode