Lurking for months, time to introduce myself - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Lurking for months, time to introduce myself

Hi All
After 20+ years with airheads - my last one being a beatifull R100RS, I felt is was time to experiment so I bought myself a K75 with single round headlight sprint fairing fitted. Painted a horrible shade of pale green so I stripped it down and resprayed in Bermuda Blue ( cos that's the paint I had left over from the R100RS).
I missed the raw power of the R100RS so I picked up a 16V K100RS with a snapped exhaust camshaft thinking this would be an easy repair - big mistake!!!. In the UK all K100 cylinder heads are bought by the mini car guys who are going through a phase of fitting to their existing engines and getting 120+ horses out of a 3 bearing crankshaft 60 year old engine design - lots of webb sites on this subject if anyone is interested. Bottom line is I eventually found a replacement camshaft on E-Bay Germany, rebuilt the engine, powder coated the frame and resprayed in the original Yuca Green pearlescent. - Looks gorgeous - goes very nicely thank you very much - but now the quandary.
Do I keep both bikes - or do I sell the K75.
the K75 is great on the shorter rider only trips, the K100 excels at the 2 up long distance rides. - I think I will take my time ( years) before I take this difficult decision.

If I can work out how to add photo's I'll post them

Hoping to contribute more in the future - best regards from the UK

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8020020 (640x480).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	12754   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	12755   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100010 (640x480).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	12756   Click image for larger version

Name:	R100RS 001 (640x480).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	12757  

Last edited by alanatrr; Nov 21st, 2010 at 3:07 pm. Reason: photos added to supprot the text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 3:20 pm
Rookie

Heyas Alan, from one noob to another, welcome

How do you like the Sprint fairing? I have one sitting in a box that will be going on my 75 this winter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 3:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi
The sprint is not as good as the K100RS fairing but much better than the R100RS. I am 5'10" and no head buffeting but there is no hand protection so you get the wind and rain onto your fingers. Leaving the mirrors on the handlebars gives you far better rear vision than the fairing mounted mirrors, but the 16V K100RS has the mirror extension pieces as standard so better then most

brg

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 4:00 pm

Welcome

Keep all three...

See which one becomes the hanger queen and cull from there.

All three of them are pretty sweet rides.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2010, 7:50 pm
Enthusiast

You need to pick up a thumper so you can have a single, twin, triple and a 4-banger.

1987 RED K75S
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:50 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
the K75 is great on the shorter rider only trips, the K100 excels at the 2 up long distance rides. - I think I will take my time ( 10 years) before I take this difficult decision.
This.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Chaos,
my wife had a "thumper ( GS650 ) which I rode a few times - usually when it needed gas.
I gave up chain mainternance years ago so I will stick to shaft drive

Alan
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanatrr
Hi
The sprint is not as good as the K100RS fairing but much better than the R100RS. I am 5'10" and no head buffeting but there is no hand protection so you get the wind and rain onto your fingers. Leaving the mirrors on the handlebars gives you far better rear vision than the fairing mounted mirrors, but the 16V K100RS has the mirror extension pieces as standard so better then most

brg

Alan
Aye, I went with the Sprint fairing that has the mirrors (K100rs type) mounted on the side of the fairing. Unboxed yesterday:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:08 am

what's missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
You need to pick up a thumper so you can have a single, twin, triple and a 4-banger.
Hot Dog! Never thought of it that way! I have a single KLR, twin R12CLC, and triple K75.

Now, what would I want a four for? Or maybe get a zero, like a Brammo. 0, 1, 2, 3. As a programmer, counting from aught appeals to me anyway, as an array of bikes.

Watch out craigslist, here I come.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Inline3
Is that a new manufactured Sprint fairing - or a very well done refurbish ? - will you be fitting the side lower pieces?

Mine has the chrome plastic infill in the screen mounting rubber - a bit of bling to brighten up the appearance.

Please post a picture when fitted becasue I would like to see how the fairing mounted mirrors work out

brg

Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode