weepage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2010, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

weepage

Ocelot, a 1990 K75C, has a weep hole bottom center aft of what appears to be where the tranny lives. A drop of oil appears there from time to time. Not enough to leave a spot on the floor. Runs grand, clutch tight, no probs.

I lubed both drive shaft ends yesterday. Both dry as bone and slightly rusted. So I expect the clutch input splines are probably equally dry. I'll tear into that next weekend. When I do, what will I find in there most likely weeping which I ought to have a gasket, seal, or O-ring ready to replace? Or is it apt to be something which is more trouble than it's worth?

gobbly gobble

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Veteran

Same thing happened to me back in 1991, stopped me from taking my K100RS to Alaska, had to buy a new GS to do so.

But your answer is.....the famous clutch O-Ring, BMW part number 11211460456. But check the parts fiche, there are other parts that should be replaced when you do that job, and do not forget to mark all the clutch parts in order to realign them properly in balance.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2010, 4:45 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The original BMW #10 lube was red in color. When it gets dirty it can look like rust.

Smell it. Gear oil(sulfur smell) or motor oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2010, 6:41 am Thread Starter

weepage

motor oil

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:33 am

Weepage

Mine appears to be on a one drop every six months schedule (and it never makes it to the garage floor... must come off while riding).

I figured when I got in there for the spline lube, I'd figure out which it was between the clutch O ring and the main seal.... I got in there and decided it wasn't enough just yet to mess with it.

I'm planning on having everything on hand for the next spline lube though.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 7:58 am Thread Starter

nuttin hunny

So are we saying it's basically nothing to worry about in the short term?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Yup,

I suspect more flow from the hole and a slipping clutch would be a different matter.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2010, 4:46 pm

ditto, had same on my old K75s for thousands of miles, never seemed to get worse or better, wiped the dew drop away every so often.

the weep hole's doing its job, giving you a heads-up and protecting the clutch plate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode