Engine trouble? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 9:11 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Engine trouble?

Was getting my '88 K100RS (with 145k miles) ready for a weekend run with a local group of guys. Started the bike with no problems. Ran fine without a single miss. As it was warming up I thought I would crack the oil fill cap open so I could add a little oil to the system. When I did I took it all the way out and the engine just about died and I noted a lot of crankcase blowby. I shut off the bike and restarted it with the oil fill cap off and it started okay. (Not as good as when cap sealed.) I let it sit for a bit and added about 1/2 a pint to the crankcase to get the right level. I closed the cap and started the engine with no problems. Took it around the block with out any problems and has lots of power. (Trip is about 3.5 to 4 miles... Joys of country living.) The bike accelerates hard and compression brakes just like a buddy of mines K100 with 46K miles. Took it on the trip anyway. (Trip was just over 110 miles) Had no problems keeping up with the R1200GS's or the R1150RT that went and the GS rider that rode behind me said he didn't notice any oil smell except on a couple of hard accelerations. But, no puffs of smoke or continuous smell of oil. I get 42 to 45 mpg when I ride with them. I do smell a little oil when I first start it, more so on really cold days. But, when I get home the exhaust has no smell.

Is it shot? Or, is this fairly typical cold start for a higher miles K100 in 34F weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 6:47 am

shot

"Is it shot?"

Yes, it's shot. Don't ride it another foot or disaster will strike. I'll be by with a trailer later today to take this wreck off your hands.

Seriously, what's the prob?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 9:13 am

Normal. When you took the cap off with the engine running, you introduced a large amount of unmetered air to the intake.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry about that guys.

I have restored so many basketcase Jap bikes in the past that I am still not used to this German Engineering. Forged pistons and 34F weather. Talked to a tech this morning from the local BMW shop and he said you NEVER check compression on a K-bike when it is cold. I has to be a operating temp so some blow-by is normal when it is cold. (The diesels I work on are always checked cold. My bad.)

Checked compression after I got to work this morning and it is at 142 for the high cylinder and 139 for the low cylinder and the other 2 are at 141. Learn something new every day.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Enthusiast

I agree with Ocelot, and a 3 lb difference in cylinders is a sure sign of imminent oil pump failure, main bearings spinning, galling camshafts and rear end failure. Filling the tires with nitrogen should allow you to make it to Ohio where I will safely dispose of it for you

1987 RED K75S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 7:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Between Ocelot and Chaos I think I have a home for the old girl if I ever need one. This is why this forum is better than my Spitfire forum. You guys make me laugh. They on the other hand are too darn serious.

So I will be sure to keep an eye on the oil pressure and the bearings and the first sound of a knock from that side I'll give a shout out to you guys.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Extra air

What you just noticed is something to keep in mind.

I changed the oil one day and forgot to replace the filler cap. Started like crap... hardly ran..I actually rode it that way (yes I'm a moron). Oiled my leg up. Zipped back home and replaced the cap and all was well.

The other way this can happen is if the crank case breather tube tears and opens. It's behind the air intake about where the fuel hose goes back to the pressure regulator. It's a soft z shaped pipe and it can crack and be open even if it looks fine once you spot it.

Either situation introduces air that hasn't been past the flapper/meter so the engine is running lean.

I'll take that wreck too.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 8:43 pm

dibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
I agree with Ocelot, and a 3 lb difference in cylinders is a sure sign of imminent oil pump failure, main bearings spinning, galling camshafts and rear end failure. Filling the tires with nitrogen should allow you to make it to Ohio where I will safely dispose of it for you

Hey hey hey hey I had first dibs there guy! You've got to believe in first dibs. I mean without dibs, the world would be chaos.

We had a Subaru XT (sport car shaped like a door stop) that wouldn't run at all with the oil cap loose. Gotta have that negative case pressure.

On the flip side, I have a KLR650 that came without any PCV valve at all. Incredible. Just an open hose from case to airbox. 650cc thumper panted in and out of the airbox like a maniac at speed. Burned a bunch of oil on the freeway. I blew 12 bucks at the Mercedes dealer for a reed valve PCV and spliced it into that hose. Stopped oil burning dead in its tracks and smoothed out the motor, too.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 9:11 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket69
This is why this forum is better than my Spitfire forum.
That wouldn't be a Triumph Spitfire forum, would it? Talk about a misspent youth!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spits.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	12780   Click image for larger version

Name:	spit2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	12781   Click image for larger version

Name:	spit3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	12782  

1987 RED K75S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey Chaos...

You wouldn't still have that car would you? I love mine. It keeps me out of trouble and out of the dating scene. (BMW rides all over Oregon and top down cruises in the Triumph.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kermit2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	12784  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Kermit1.bmp (534.5 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode