K75S vs K75C - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

K75S vs K75C

I just got the S on the road. I purchased it in Jul but have had registration issues that took a while to get resolved. I really like it, my other bike is a '96 R1100 RT.
There is an '85 K75C that has come up for sale locally. It is an '85 with 9K miles on it. Ad says needs battery, tires, and possibly a fuel pump. I do not know how long it has been sitting. He is asking $1500 for it.
I have read that the earlier models had an issue with oil getting past the rings, what other issues are there?
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:12 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Are you sure it's a model year 85? I'm pretty sure that the first model year for the K75C was 86.

The oil getting past the rings is a non-issue issue. All it does is smoke after starting if you leave it on the centerstand.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I just checked the ad, it is an '88 with 8200 miles.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 7:32 pm
Enthusiast

Most of it's issues will probably be related to it sitting unused. Hydraulics, rubber bits, & fuel system are all suspect. Instruments are one problem area, odo reading may be suspect. Check for corrosion on the bottom center seam of the gas tank. Otherwise these are about the most bullet proof bike out there.

1987 RED K75S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I mentioned some of these items to the seller on the phone and he got a little indignant.

If it is still listed in a couple of days I may contact him again.

Jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 3:48 pm

I bought a 1990 K75C this summer. Had been sitting five years according to the PO, ten according to the registration. Parked with a full tank off. I paid 1500 (probably too much) because it looks so cherry. Here are the issues:

Ethanol ate up the shoulder around the fuel pump, as well as every hose in the tank. A new kit including filter, hoses, pump and shoulder went for about 350

Old stale ethanol gas stinks to high effing heaven

As long as the other stuff needed cleaned, I figured the injectors did too. I sent them to Mr Injector for 16 clams apiece. So say by the time you ship there's another 50

A new battery set me back I dunno maybe eighty

New tires another buck and a half

Oil, tranny oil, and such not

All in all, I was out maybe 2200 or so. Fired up at first touch and runs like a champ.Easy to work on.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:22 am
Noob

K75 in Atlanta

Jim, I talked to the guy that owns the K75 in Atlanta and I wanted to buy it, but he was not very friendly and is probably the reason he still has the bike. That in itself is not a reason to not buy the bike, just a reason to look at it closely. I think the bike is overpriced and when I offered a lower figure he emailed me back and asked me not to waist his time. Otherwise, Id be working on it now getting it ready to ride...

Last edited by Cyberfly; Dec 3rd, 2010 at 12:27 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:31 pm
Noob

Another one listed

Jim, if you are looking for a K bike, there is another one on Atlanta Craigslist, just posted. 85', yellow K with 80,000 on the clock, looks really nice and price is right.....Ron

Last edited by Cyberfly; Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:22 pm.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I looked at it

I went by last night and looked at the C.

It had been down on the right side and the trans housing was cracked and one of the bolts was exposed. He had the fuel pump and low fuel float out on the bench. The inside of the tank had been cleaned, but would require more work. The fairings looked good.

The title was from NC and he had not transferred it to him.

Before I went over there I had figured I would offer him 1000.

After the problems I have had getting my S registered and the damage I told him I was not interested. Maybe for 750 I would consider it.

I really don't need another project now, but would pick one up if the price was right,

I saw the one on Craigs list, it looked like a deal.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode