Top case opinions Givi TRK46N Trekker - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 10:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Top case opinions Givi TRK46N Trekker

From Givi...
http://www.givi.it/Side-hardbags/Mon...TRK46N-TREKKER

Am adding weekend camping to my to-do list this coming spring/summer and this top-case caught my eye. It's not yet available in the states but is available in UK/Europe.

Case is 46 Litre, 526x411x310mm. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Image from a diff. angle...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:33 pm
Enthusiast

Nice looking case. Any idea on US debut?

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:40 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Wow, that thing's frickin' HUGE.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:17 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
Nice looking case. Any idea on US debut?
I have not seen any word on U.S. release. I did get a response today from a vendor in Canada expecting to see them available in January 2011.

FlyingDuck, think its too big for our bricks? I am lille concerned about the size and what impact it might have on the ride balance when fully loaded. Cant be any worse than riding 2up though I would think.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline3
FlyingDuck, think its too big for our bricks? I am lille concerned about the size and what impact it might have on the ride balance when fully loaded. Cant be any worse than riding 2up though I would think.
Remember also that trunks on our bikes are mounted to plastic. I have a fairly large Givi trunk myself but need to remember not to load a lot of heavy items because of that weak link.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 8:05 am

me too

That was going to be my question: What are you going to mount it on? I don't know which brick you have, but my wee K75 only has a plastic glove box in the rear. I don't know what's aft on other models. Anyone devised a way to bolt a bracket onto the subframe with these bikes?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 10:09 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The tail cowl is not plastic. Like the fairings, it's made out of some fiberglass-ish material that's fairly sturdy. That said, it's not indefinitely strong so I wouldn't load up that top case with bricks.

For mounting something like that, you'd probably want to use the Givi E181 mounting rack since it's sturdy, has a level mounting surface and is made for K bikes. If you put something like that on a Reynolds Rack it would move around. On my K1100RS I have a BMW 35 L top case that I custom mount to a Reynolds Rack and that moves around a wee bit so I'd guess something larger would move around even more.

As for loading it, I'd say you'd want to keep your lighter stuff in the top case with your heavier stuff low and forward in the side cases - both for handling and to minimize the stress on the tail cowl.

The difference between a top case and a pillion is that a pillion is a) farther forward and b) a dynamic load that, if experienced, will move their weight with yours. (I'm mostly a solo rider though so my experience there is limited.)

As for aesthetics, large top cases don't appeal to me. On my K75RT I quickly tired of the not so useful OEM 22 L top case and replaced it with a Givi 36 L top case. Personally, I thought even that was a little large aesthetically but it sure was handy to have all of the storage space when touring.

YMMV.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:42 am Thread Starter
Rookie

The E181 mounting rack is what I will be putting on the K75. I have not seen it yet so am unsure as to its sturdiness. How does the E181 compare to the Reynolds rack?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 2:20 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The E181 bolts into the holes for the factory rack. If those haven't been drilled yet then your best option is to take the cowl off of the bike and drill them from the inside. They are already guides there. It's metal and very solid.

The Reynolds Rack attaches where the side case racks attach and does not require any drilling. It'll move around a bit if you put something heavy on it. This is a pic I took for someone who was curious about where the backrest attached on a RR:

There's also an earlier Reynolds Rack that uses the rear bolt of the side case racks and a couple of bolts through the tail cowl but I've never seen one in person.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode