New Battery Accommodation - 86 K75C - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 12:50 am Thread Starter
Rookie

New Battery Accommodation - 86 K75C

So after all that I just decided to get a new battery. The current one is 4 years old, Deka, and ready to call it quits. So I bought an Odyssey PC680MJ and what do you know, the wires coming directly from the alternator to the positive terminal don't quite make it. The Odyssey is considerably taller, wider, and shallower and has the top mounted terminals rather than the side ones of the Deka.

I'm thinking of just splicing a length of wire onto the alternator to get the length I need, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the gauge of wire the alternator uses? (not too keen on just chopping them open without a second opinion :P) Or if there's a better way to go about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 7:36 am

battery technology sucks

On my 86 K100RS I just re-routed the existing wires and put a 1/4" thick piece of rubber on the battery tray. Another piece of thin rubber was needed between the top hold down bracket and the battery, the original long screws work, they are just very tight against the sides of the replacement, which is a maintenance free lawn tractor battery. About 1/3 the cost of an original replacement and lasts about 2/3 as long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 7:59 am

Odyssey over rated

I may be the only one who believes the Ody is over rated. There are comparatively few sizes and configurations of the dang things, frequently resulting in kludges and adapters. You can get quality sealed batteries elsewhere for much less. For example, I have a 2003 R1200CLC, Annie, which has integrated ABS very sensitive to cold battery state. Have to replace the thing every four years or so, or else get ABS faults. My fellow chromeheads write thread after thread about adapting expensive Ody batteries to fit, which batteries they then praise to the skies, then replace every four or five years just like any other battery. I scored Annie an OEM re-branded by BMW Exide battery from the dealer for twenty less than the Ody at the time. Two years back I scored her a Westco from beemerboneyard for like 80 bucks. Both fit right without adapting a thing. For Ocelot, I scored an AGM battery from Tri-State Battery round the corner from me for about eighty. Big huge thing. Slipped right in without any gyrations.

If they sold them cheaper and they fit right and they lasted longer I might be a believer. As it is, over rated.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:52 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I have had several Odyssey PC680s and think their reputation is well deserved/earned. I've heard of WestCo, BMW and every other kind of battery failing but never an Odyssey. IMO they're the most dependable battery available. And they're easily good for at least five years. I've never had a problem fitting them on any K bike.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Veteran

I'll be buying an Odissey soon too, my 3 years old BMW Gel is showing signs of weakness......probably still good for the garden tractor however!

But for wire sizing, I recently had to look up some battery cables, I measured the wire with calipers and used this chart, you can always go one size bigger, just don't go smaller.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 6:43 pm
Enthusiast

I've got a 5 year old Westco in my 87K75S, no complaints and may get another season out of her. BUT I've heard of problems with newer bikes with ABS and whatever wiring-from-Mars BMW is using now, hence all the raving reviews of the Odissy, it seems more compatible. The Westco fit, cheaper than OEM, and worked for me.

1987 RED K75S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode