My first BMW and first post - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 2:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

My first BMW and first post

Hi all....my first post here as a BMW owner. Im Greg in Canberra, Australia.

Thanks to the K bike thread on the ADV forum I got interested in K bikes and started reading up on them. I have a always had Japanese bikes and projects and currently have a few on the go but wanted something practical, tough, classic, sporty and maybe European. So a K bike looked very interesting and seemed to fit the bill.

I thought a nice K75S or RT would be the go but they seem a bit rarer over here and prices are pretty good for even an average example. There are certainly more K100s out there, and more in various states of repair with a good range of prices. I really wanted something I could work on and restore and then get on the road.

So after some research and feedback on ADV I located 2 possible K100RSs. One was about 1 hour away from me, but had a fair few kms (140 thou) and had busted fairings a bad blue paint job, and a badly ripped seat. It was a runner (good) but had been neglected and left in a shed for a while. The price sounded a bit high for what it was too.
I then spotted another K100RS about 3 hours away. This was a 1 owner bike with 50 thou kms. After talking with the owner he seemed a dedicated BMW fan that had bought the bike new and then after 15 years of limited riding had parked the bike in the garage and left it hoping to get back to it one day. He never did. So after some discussion I bought it based on his description and a few photos by email. (Yeh its a bit of a gamble but the price was good. If it's a total disaster I'm sure I wont lose that much in the scheme of things and learn a lot about K bikes along the way). Cosmetically it sounds OK, (is the original black paint job) with a few extras. It was left with fuel in the tank that varnished over time so I am expecting the pump, lines and injectors to be the starting point on this one.

So I'll make sure to get some pics on arrival and before the clean up starts to get it back on the road.

Oh yeh...thanks to Duck and any other K bike fans that posted on ADV to provide advice to date and direct me here!

And first question..if I need new injectors what's the best and best value for the K100? US ebay or can I get something similar at a decent price locally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 7:19 am

Great bike Greg, you're sure to love it. I'm guessing the injectors will be still OK at 50k but your fuel filter is toast. Make sure you change the oil in the rear drive and front forks. Some of the rubber parts might be ready for replacement, like the little vent pipe to the rear of the cylinder heads and the skirts that seal up the holes where the front forks pass through the fairing. If you do need to cover the seat; I've been very pleased with the repair I did to mine, I sprayed the entire seat with contact cement and stretched a single piece of black leather over it, that was 18 years ago and it's still perfect. I thought it might be a problem when it was wet but it's not, wipe it dry just as you would vinyl and it's good to go. Enjoy that bike and if you do need to paint it, they look awesome in candy apple red

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 9:29 am

I think a lot of people here have recommended getting the injectors cleaned at a shop. I think it was like 15 bucks an injector or somewhere around there for a guy that does them in the states. Perhaps you could find something similar in Oz.

It seems to me that the actual electronic part of the injectors last forever. I'd recommend testing them to see their actual flow before buying new ones or getting them cleaned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City

Last edited by lukeman; Dec 11th, 2010 at 10:19 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:56 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Definitely cheaper to get them cleaned than buy new ones. I use Mr. Injector here in the states but you might want to call around to some nearby truck stops as I've heard they will recondition injectors for a reasonable price.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2010, 2:26 am
Rookie

welcome greg
i am in victoria i have just bought my first k100rs a few mths ago ,you,ll find a lot of help and advice here ,i sure have
trials rider ;my step into bmw world is same as yours a real nice one mate !
i intend to strip mine down a bit at a time and get it a bit more smick like yours ,i like the black fork legs mine isnt i have seen a few now with the black it looks good
regards graeme
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2010, 1:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks all for the welcome...nice bike TR.
The bike arrived at 10pm last night by bike courier. Had to unload in the dark but managed to get the first pic. The bike looks a bit better than imagined but it has some surface rust, tank rust and alloy corrosion to deal with. The original charcoal paint is Ok and will come up well with a wash n polish. The PO also threw in a sheepskin seat cover in light grey (may go for black later) and the bike has a staintune muffler....but might fit an original muffler if i can find a good one. All in all pretty happy so far...has a lot of potential!!!!!!
Is there supposed to be a cover over the battery?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2010, 6:22 am
Rookie

hi greg if you mean the side cover no more than what you have ,the batt its under the tool tray box and electrics thingamy which i was just game enought to disconnect and take out my dead battery it clamps down via 2 long bolts as you probally know but no other covers i know off
a real nice project it looks good , how much did you pay for it ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode