Forks Paint - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:10 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Forks Paint

HI all hope you have all had a good and safe chrissy
i am at the fork stage of my resto of my k100rs
trials rider posted a pic of a rs with black fork legs
what sort of paint would be best to paint mine / asked a powder coater but he wasnt sure if the heat in the oven would be good for the alloy ,he suggested a good 2 pak paint
wondering why some models had black and others were alloy finish was it where they ended up in the world re some countries had a differnt model look ?
cheers graeme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2010, 9:49 am

back in black

Hey Gracey, mine were gloss black since new. The fork legs, water pump cover and oil pan are due for a fresh coat with stone chips and UV having taken a toll. I can't see heat from the powder coat process being a big problem for any aluminum parts, but others may be more familiar with how much heat is involved in the process. Gloss black is the correct color for everything except the exhaust heat shield, that cleans up nicely with a thin coat of flat black stove paint. I've been thinking about powder coating my rims silver, mainly to seal them from the elements and make them easier to clean. Input from anyone with powder coat paint process experience would be appreciated on this subject also, Thx.

I'm guessing the rubber shields that seal between your fairing and fork legs are in bad shape, mine were replaced once and started to deteriorate again recently, next time I think I might replace them with black leather as the OEM parts were very expensive.

When I bought my K in 86 the dealer claimed there was in excess of 100 small changes between the 85 and 86 model year bikes, the black legs might have been on that list.

It's warmed up to -10C here now so time to take the dog for a run, please do send the sun back this way if you're done with it :i
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2010, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

hi tr thanks for reply i am in the process of doing the front end of bike ,we have 2 pwd coaters in town so i agree with you if the fork is stripped down cant see the problem ,i will chk with the other pwd coater and see , i had my heat sheild pwd coated on the muffler and a gear sack rack too which i cut and altered to suit the bmw i have allways liked the old gearsack bag it is amazing what we can pack in it for a weekend away .i am going along the same thought as you re doing the rims too in silver either that or get a new guy i town to water blast them i dont know if they do it often where you are but end result is like new alloy
yeah my seal /rubbers are stuffed too between the fairing and leg ,good idea re leather wont be hard to cut out a template and attach i reckon
weather here is getting hot at last around 38.c today and hotter for new year ,yeah i know what a contrast hey ,we had a real cold spell for us,have had floods record rain for once has broken the 12 yr drought we,ve had
cheers /keep warm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2010, 10:10 am
Rookie

I've wondered that myself. I have ridden with a few K's this last year and some like you said are silver and some are black. Two of the bikes where the same year and model (Both 86's) and one was silver and the other black. My K100RS SE has Bahama Blue forks that match the blue over pearl white SE paint scheme with pearl white rims.

I had heard rumors that some fork spring rates had been adjusted in the '86/'87 range maybe the color has to do with that.?. Jeep Grand Cherokees have two sets of brake manufacturers and they are either gold of silver anodized so you get the correct parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode