Electrical problem - starter running - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 4:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Electrical problem - starter running

Strange electrical problem with a 1984 K100. Fired it up this morning and ran down the road just fine but when I came to a stop, I had no blinkers, headlights or taillights. Then I hear some noise, which turns out to be the starter running. Shut it off and the starter kept cranking so I had to disconnect the battery. What the ... ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 7:01 pm

live short

Would it be fair to say all of these are common to the right handlebar switch control? A full wiring diagram is available at: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/...%20diagram.jpg

... with luck it's a shorting or stuck starter button, there is a load shedding relay shown in the schematic and I believe the purpose of that relay is to momentarily kill your lights while the starter is cranking and in this case that's all the time.

Last edited by TrialsRider; Dec 30th, 2010 at 8:24 pm.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Enthusiast

The starter running with the bike turned off is a fairly common K issue. If the battery is low the starter relay contacts can weld together. Sometimes you can fix it with a good rap to knock it loose (it's under the tank, in a covered box, the relay has 2 heavy lugs going into it)
Don't know about the other problems, could be a dead battery or I think the starter has a shed circut that cuts out the headlight when the starter engages.

1987 RED K75S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Veteran

I'd guess the starter relay contacts have seized.

Mack
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

so......... I think you guys were correct. The starter relay got stuck, no big deal really. when the starter relay turns on the lights and other accessories turn off to give more power to the starter. That's why I lost all the lights I also need plug wires. Is there an alternative to the stock wires or can anyone tell me the best source. I usually order from Max BMW.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Enthusiast

Beemerboneyard is a good source for lots of stuff. And they got wires....http://www.beemerboneyard.com/12121459876csn.html

1987 RED K75S
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahh, didn't think of them. Thanks!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:01 am
Enthusiast

I have a set of magnecore plug wires, still under warranty.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:39 am
Enthusiast

Wait - an 1984 K100??

Thought the first model year in the States was 1985?

Anyhow the other guys are right on - replace the starter relay - it will do this again and again and again. I believe it's a standard Bosch relay so any auto parts store should have it.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:35 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer01
Thought the first model year in the States was 1985?

Anyhow the other guys are right on - replace the starter relay - it will do this again and again and again. I believe it's a standard Bosch relay so any auto parts store should have it.
85 was the first model year in the US but a few 84s have found their way here. Like guys serving in Germany who bought them there and then brought them home and others who have moved from Europe to here and brought bikes with them..

The starter relay is not a standard Bosch relay. Horn, fuel injection and load shed are "Bosch" relays though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode