Fork Seal replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2011, 8:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question Fork Seal replacement

I need to replace the fork seals on my '90 KLT. I've looked at Clymers and searched some forums for concise instructions for this and haven't found it. All I can find is info. on replacement of springs or forks. Has anyone done just the seals? Do you need to remove the fairing? I'd like to know how much of a job I'm getting myself in to beforehand. I recently did the spline lube job and had no trouble. I'm a bit more concerned about not getting something related to handling "right".
Any advice most welcome.
Thanks. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:03 am
Veteran

K100LT or K1100LT?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:39 am

Most likely you will find a detailed writeup somewhere in this forum.
However, basically, this is not a big job.

I take it for granted that you know how to replace the seals.

To get to them, the easiest way is to pull the lower forktubes downwards.
Find a 2 x 4 piece of wood and put underneat the centerstand in order to get the front a bit higher up from the floor. Remove the frontwheel, brake calipers and fender/ bridge.
The forks a held in place by a single screw that you access from the bottom of the fork, and you get to it when the wheel axel is removed. Then it is a matter of pulling the forktube down. Remember to drain the oil first.

When you mount it again, dont put the top sleeve on until the forktube is back on.
Also, grease the fork well, and make a funnel of thin plastic (as used in shirtcollars when you buy a new shirt) to protect the seal when you mount it on the inner-fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2011, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks!

I feel a little stupid. The next time I went to this site, the "view similar threads" was visible at the bottom of the page. And lo and behold, good instructions were there! I should have checked a little more (Thank you, tcsheen)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode