K75s lowering - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 8:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

K75s lowering

Hi Forum,
I took my new toy for a long mountain run this weekend and the further I rode the better I was enjoying it.

The only difficulty I'm having with the K75 is parking it, especially when I have to duck walk it backwards uphill into a bike park. I'm 6'3 but my feet just can't get enough purchase on the ground in those situations when I'm straddling the saddle. I just checked the specs and the seat is about 2" taller than my old Bonnie.

Has anyone had any experience with lowering?

I'm thinking if I could get it an inch or two nearer to the ground .... But I don't want to compromise the smooth ride or handling on bumpy country roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 9:22 am

I wouldn't

I wouldn't. I'm five ten. My Ocelot is a factory lowered K75C with a Corbin. I like her that way. Real handy when throwing a leg over or paddle footing round a parking lot. Fine ergos as far as the handlebars landing in the right place. But her pegs are on the verge of cramped. At six two, I think your legs would feel folded up like a paper clip if you dropped the seat.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 9:51 am

You can gain a little bit (about a half an inch) by lowering the triple tree clamps on the fork tubes. I did, and it was just enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:09 am
Enthusiast

+1 on sliding the fork tubes up the triple clamps. You can also get a shorter shock from Progressive, Works, etc if you want to spend the $$$

1987 RED K75S
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I would like to try this trick of sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Doesn't look like they can move up very ;much, but every little bit would help me.While I look thru my Clymer's for advice on this operation, if anyone knows of a link describing the operation, or has any advice at all on the procedure, I'd be glad to hear it. My bike has an RT fairing, if that makes a difference...
thanks,
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Veteran

Don t forget: what you gain in being able to foot it around your going to lose fun in cornering. I would go with a custom seat if anything. the engineers designed it the way it is. Messing around with the geometry of the bike by other than a professional could be a disaster waiting to happen...tank slapper... not fun...A bike that gets into three digits is nothing you should play with...now a chopper project or on a tractor you wouldn't really have those worries

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jan 17th, 2011 at 6:39 pm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac829
I would like to try this trick of sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Doesn't look like they can move up very ;much, but every little bit would help me.While I look thru my Clymer's for advice on this operation, if anyone knows of a link describing the operation, or has any advice at all on the procedure, I'd be glad to hear it. My bike has an RT fairing, if that makes a difference...
thanks,
Steve
1990 K75RT
Hi Steve. Like I said I did it on mine and it did not effect handling at all, of course I am not a BMW engineer. And, you are right, you will not gain much by doing the procedure.

The procedure is not in Clymers, I found the suggestion on one of these BMW forums but can't find it right now. It was a fairly simple operation but akward with the RT fairing in the way. Just a matter of getting the allen wrenches down there and losing up the clamps. I think the "dashboard" was in the way, and had to be taken off.
I will keep searching for the link as you asked for.

By the way, I got the letter you sent with the RT info. Thanks so much.

edit: here is one link that mentions the procedure but no details:
http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/k-lowering.html
(It also warns of cornering clearance changes)
I think I saw more details on BMWMOA but I can't search there without becoming a paying member, and I'm too cheap for that.

Last edited by WayneDW; Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:21 pm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2011, 7:22 am
Noob

I lowered mine with excellent results:
Install spacers under the damper rod springs in the forks - 1-1.5"
Hagon and YSS has a shorter shock - 1-1.5" to match front drop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode