Planning U.S.A roadtrip on two K75S's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Planning U.S.A roadtrip on two K75S's

So my girl and I have matching K75S's and are planning a long trip starting in late May.

Home station is Minneapolis. We'll be making our 1st leg of the trip by leaving

Minneapolis and heading in a southwesterly direction via Colorado to southern California.

Then making the 2nd leg by going essentially straight north through California to

Washington. And finally, heading east back to Minnesota. This will be our very first super

long trip. We've read a lot about trips such as this but any opinions good or bad would be

hugely appreciated. I am pretty new to this forum and as a result nobody here really

knows me. But we would like to make some acquaintances here that might be along our

desired route for possible socializing, a ride together or repair / parts help if needed. I'm

very capable of repairing things myself if needed but it's always nice to have connections

along the way.

Oh, one question to start out... What's the best high-mileage, yet reasonably good

handling tires for the K75's?

Thanks!!!

Matt & Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:10 am

[QUOTEOh, one question to start out... What's the best high-mileage, yet reasonably good

handling tires for the K75's?

Thanks!!!

Matt & Stephanie[/QUOTE]
Metzler 880/88 is what I use. I get 10-12,000 miles on rear and 18-20,000 front.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I hope you are giving yourselves a few weeks to do all this. It is a very ambitious itinerary.

I'm K75 owner in Minneapolis as well. (South Mpls).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on the Metzlers. Worn out several sets of them on my S. But my next set I'll probably go with Bridgestone Spitfires. Heard lots of good about them and they're priced well under the Metzlers. Worth a shot.

1987 RED K75S
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm

My rear Metz Marathon has 12+ thousand miles on it, looks good for a few more. But I want to change it because I'm looking at a fairly long trip this year myself. Here's my dilemma: I would like to replace that rear with a Bridgestone Spitfire (I ran a set of these on my previous bike, an R65), but I'm leery of mixing and matching brands (The BMW OM warns ominously against doing so.) My front tire is a Metzeler Lasertec with 5 thousand miles, nothing wrong it. Am I being too cautious in not wanting to mix brands...or is BMW giving me good advice?
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm
Enthusiast

Some long distance touring thoughts

Camping? (If you are... KOA is a pretty good solution w showers and the chance to recharge your stuff)

Communication - definately get a bike to bike comm system. I like the SENA system - also permits listening to your ipods, radio and to make and recieve phone calls.

Clothing - pack light and stop at laundromats every few days.

Hydration - use a Camelback type system to stay hydrated. Ice is free at fast food places - get a large lemonade and top off the camelbacks w ice and lemonade.

Gloves - take several pairs so you'll always have a dry pair.

Wear sythentic base layers, do not wear cotton. Included is the strong suggestion to wear synthetic wicking underwear - Aerostich offers some at a good price. Good wicking socks in your boots will halp a lot.

I like the Bead rider on the Kbike seats for comfort - combined with the Aerostich underwear you can handle long hot days easily.

Take sunscreen - back of your neck and wrists can get badly burned before you know it.

Take a fairly comprehensive repair kit and spare parts inc a fuel filter, plugs, spare clutch cable - I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:06 pm

mix match tires & tyres

I've heard some of the Best tire combinations resulted with mix matched brands. I won a Bridgestone once rode a mix for a while and bought the mate a year later, no noticable issues. The dual compound Bridgestone tires provided excellent traction early in it's life and wore well as advertised, with notably less grip later in it's life. I'm running Avon Tyres right now, happy with the rear but the front has problems. Out of Pirelli, Dunlop and Bridgestone, the stone's wore the longest. My Avon front might not stay on long enough to actually wear out and I was thinking about replacing that with a Lasertec.
...on K100RS
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:21 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I've mixed tires quite a few times and have never had an issue. Even with a cheap Chinese tire which was the only thing I could find in nowhere Montana.

I tried the BS Spitfires on a K75S I brought back to life and flipped last year year. I rode it to the buyer in Sacramento from Seattle (taking the LONG route down the Cascades) and they performed quite well. Definitely a good bang for the buck.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:19 am
Rookie

FD.... Bet you loved that trip. In the fall it is awesome to zig-zag the from HWY97 into the Wilamette Valley and back and see all the trees chainging colors. There is soooooo much beautiful country to ride in out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go to Victoria, B.C, this year in late spring by HWY101 and ferry. Or, do I waite just a bit later into June and ride from Corvallis to Baker City by back roads then up to Joseph, Oregon and back out to Leavenworth, Washington with a final stop on Whidbey Island to see my sister and brother-in-law. Just too many choices of fun and beautiful trips.

Headed to Baker City on the RS this week to see my friends out there.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:11 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Hijack: If you're going up 101 then take the Hood Canal route - the "coastal" route in not very scenic as it's inland from the coast most of the way and pretty boring.

SE B.C. has some excellent riding - and free inland ferries to boot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode