brake fluid change, ABS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

brake fluid change, ABS

Now that I have the fork oil replaced my next item on the to-do list is to replace the brake fluid. I have a '92 K75RT with ABS. Should be easy enough: put tubes on the bleed valves, take the M.C. cover off and keep it full with new while I pump the old out the tubes after opening the valve. But to my surprise the right front brake doesn't have a bleed valve...

So, my question is: Why does only the left front brake have a bleed valve? The right one has a tube running back to the ABS pump. There is a bleed valve back there. So I assume I need to let the old fluid out back there? Correct? Does the ABS system make everything more complicated? What about the rear brake? It has a bleed valve on both the ABS pump and the caliper. What's the deal with that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Wayne.

1992 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Wayne: well you need to hear from someone w/an ABS model, but I can tell you that on my 1990 non-ABS the right front caliper does not have a bleed nipple, either. There is a metal tube bringing fluid in to that caliper, and next to it is a tube that brings fluid out and up over the front tire to the left caliper. Next to the spot on the left cal. where that "hump" tube goes in is the only bleed nipple for the front.
I bled the front brakes successfully this fall, just bleeding from the one left nipple. But before I did I was on this forum asking pretty much the same question as you...
Steve
1990 k75RT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, that is very helpful. Funny thing is that neither the clymers or the haynes mentions this fact (that I could find). I was just reading them over again and had convinced myself that I must be crazy or blind that there has to be a bleed nipple on both sides. Guess not...

Thanks again.
Wayne.

1992 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 5:18 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Bleed at the modulator first, then the caliper. It's another step but not more complicated then that.

On the front, just bleed at the left caliper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode