dilema - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

dilema

Well all,
I am faced with a dilema. I've had a couple of back surgeries over the last 2 years. I sold my beloved MX bike (ride every weekend up north with my son) and I picked up a K-bike last summer...got her running but have put very few miles on it.
I really want to ride dirt bikes again (and this K isn't very comfortable on my back) so i think i am gonna sell her...the dilema is whether to sell it whole or to part it out...
If i sell whole, how much is it worth with 27k on it and everything functioning? If i can squeak 1500-ish out of it i will sell whole, if not worth that much i'll part it out this winter till i have enough to get another MX...needs new rubber and that's about it...about the only think i've done is added the clear windscreen and purchased a very nice complete exhaust system for it.
Thoughts?

Last edited by dbikers; Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:26 am

What year is it?
By the way, 27,000 may be a lot of miles on a dirt bike but it is barely broken in on a BMW.

1992 K75RT
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDW
What year is it?
By the way, 27,000 may be a lot of miles on a dirt bike but it is barely broken in on a BMW.
yes, i know it's not very many miles for an '88.
$1500(ish) may be a bit unrealistic (perhaps not) but having parted a few bikes out before i think i could part it out and get pretty close (just such a p.i.t.a)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 6:01 pm
Enthusiast

1500 seems low, I'd ask at least 2500. The S is the most desirable of the K75's, and yours looks to be in pretty decent shape. And after parting it out you would still have a bunch of oddball pieces cluttering up your garage. Your offspring won't have a clue what they are and send them the landfill after you croak.

1987 RED K75S
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

If it's running and in good cosmetic condition then it's easily worth $2,500 or more.

Take a look here to get an idea of pricing: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/kbbs

Edit: Oh, and poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick for even thinking of parting out a perfectly good K bike.

Last edited by FlyingDuck; Feb 21st, 2011 at 10:39 pm.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 9:17 am

willing to help

You are delusional if you think you could get 1500 for it as is. On the other hand, the parts market is depressed beyond belief right now. Tell you what, though, I like you, and I am willing to do you a favor. I'll take it off your hands for 500. I'll send you a check for 6,000 to cover shipping. Refund me the difference.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:20 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
You are delusional if you think you could get 1500 for it as is. On the other hand, the parts market is depressed beyond belief right now. Tell you what, though, I like you, and I am willing to do you a favor. I'll take it off your hands for 500. I'll send you a check for 6,000 to cover shipping. Refund me the difference.
How much does it cost to ship a bike to Nigeria these days?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
i will only send to bolivia and 400 pesos is my absolute bottom line...

Really, am not looking to gouge anyone...it needs rubber a battery, and some cosmetic stuff but actually does run quite good. I really would hate to part it out and trip over sub-frames, get tangled up in a wiring harness, need to prop the suspension up with a broomstick, worry about safely boxing this stuff up and shipping it. i did ok on the last bike (ricer crap) but was a pain.
Am really looking to get enough to be in the black when i get another (used) dirt bike.

I will look at the links and see how to price it...it is an S, it is complete with low miles, but it aint for me (and my back).

Anyone in the D let me know if interested.

John Aldridge
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 3:35 pm

pricing

Both the IBMWR and the MOA classifieds appear to be full of wise guys trolling for suckers. Sure, there's one born every minute, so I suppose a bike does sell there from time to time. But I'd never buy from there. To see what things are actually going for, go to Ebay motors, and search for completed listings. Much more realistic. Or try both kbb.com and nadaguides.com. Each will give you two prices. Average the four. I think you will find that your 1500 with a couple rubber and cosmetic issues is pretty realistic.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 5:33 pm

my 2cents: I would say $1500 would be a very low price, $2500 would be a very nice price, so it should go somewhere in between there. If you can wait until spring it should be easier to get closer to the higher price.

I would watch ebay and craig's list for a while to see what others are asking for the bike, also Cycle Trader dot com.

I echo the sentiment that it would be a shame to part out a perfectly fine working motorcycle.

1992 K75RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode