K75 Headlight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile K75 Headlight

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and just returning to biking after a 30year break (I know! What was I thinking).
Towards the end of last year I acquired a nice red, '91 K75RT with 40K. I did a spline lube, cleaned it up nicely and I'm loving the ride. A couple of weeks back my headlight went out, so I replaced it with a new H4, but still no light. I suspect the switch as being the culprit, but don't know for sure–I'm not very mechanically/electronically minded.

This problem happened immediately after I'd left the bike out in the rain one day.
Is there a chance that water somehow got into the switch and caused a short of sorts?
I've opened up the switch, but can't find anything–Heck, I don't even know what to look for.

I would appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 3:32 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldy
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and just returning to biking after a 30year break (I know! What was I thinking).
Towards the end of last year I acquired a nice red, '91 K75RT with 40K. I did a spline lube, cleaned it up nicely and I'm loving the ride. A couple of weeks back my headlight went out, so I replaced it with a new H4, but still no light. I suspect the switch as being the culprit, but don't know for sure–I'm not very mechanically/electronically minded.

This problem happened immediately after I'd left the bike out in the rain one day.
Is there a chance that water somehow got into the switch and caused a short of sorts?
I've opened up the switch, but can't find anything–Heck, I don't even know what to look for.

I would appreciate any input.
Did the new H4 ever work? It could be a bad bulb or the connector isn't all of the way on.

The contacts on the switches do wear out. 40k is somewhat young for that to happen but if it's been used a lot then it's possible.

To see if you''re getting power into the switch for the headlight, unplug the connector for it under the tank and see if you're getting 12V on the white wire with a yellow stripe. That's a good place to start for diagnosing headlight issues.

You might want to consider adding headlight relays:
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6445
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 9:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Headlight

Thanks FlyingDuck,

No, the H4 didn't work on low beam either, only on high beam.
I'll take a look at that connector soon and see if that is the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 4:14 am
Rookie

Fuse?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 4:45 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up HID upgrade

A voltmeter should quickly tell you if you're getting voltage. A bigger problem with that vintage K has been that the headlight just isn't very bright.

There are several routes to remedy this -

Wire in a relayed system from someone like Eastern Beaver - this brings more voltage to the light and will somewhat improve the stock bulb brightness.

Do the above and upgrade to a higher wattage 'offroad' light. The problem with this has been that the extra heat generated can be a problem, but will be brighter.

An emerging approach is changing out the Halogen bulb approach completely and going with a HID system. DDM Tuning has a kit for about $40 that will absolutely blow you way with the lumens, color and light. It feels like 10x the brightness (This is not the BS HID bulb route that you see on eBay - those do nothing and are not worth even the $10 they try and charge).

I did this with a 5000 color kit and it may be the best upgrade I've ever done to my K.

Usual disclaimers etc.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 6:01 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketyclik
Fuse?
The headlight isn't fused.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 6:08 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I run 90/100W Xenon H4s off of ebay for $8/pair with relays,(Don't do this without upgraded wiring and relays or you might burn up your headlight wiring.) Have been for 6 years. No heat problems and copious amounts of light for the high beam. Since the low is kind of bright it's very important to have the headlight aimed properly so you're not blinding oncoming traffic or the car in front of you.

Halogen headlight lenses are not designed for HID bulbs and often cause unwanted light scatter - which can blind oncoming traffic. This is why they are illegal unless they come on a vehicle from the factory where the lens has been specifically designed for HID. (Google "HID ticket.")

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode