Need Some Input From You Experienced BMW Owners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Need Some Input From You Experienced BMW Owners

Hi Everyone! Long time motorcycle rider, but never owned a BMW. I have owned a couple of BMW's four wheelers, but not the twos. I am a sportbike guy, with a passion for Ducatis, but I need to move to a bike which is more conducive to everyday riding and especially two-up riding for the Mrs.

I am looking at BMWs K series bikes to be my commuter/wife carrier. They all seem to carry enough sport flavor to satisfy my like of that genre. Really enjoy the new K1300S, but the insurance in MA for that bike is outright robbery. So I am looking at an older model to help keep costs down (both upfront and enduring). I will find a BMW K model whether it is one of the two below or another.

Here is where I need some help: I looked at 2 K1100RS today; a 1996 and 1995. The 1995 was a good looking bike, the owner did some work to the paint to make it nice and shiny. However, it had some maintenance issues. It had an oil leak (minor) under the waterpump into the belly pan. It needs a new battery. The manifold studs/nuts were very rusty (I was told to look for this issue). Lastly, the ABS do not work, owner says he doesn't know what the issue is. So cosmetically the bike is nice; mechanically it has some issues. bike has 28,000 miles with some maintenance history included. Owner has a starting price of $4200 and I think he will go lower.

The 1996 has some cosmetic defects. Nothing too major, but enough to detract from the overall looks of the bike. It was pushed over on the street and has some paint scratches on the fairing and mirror and some cracks on the front from where the mirror must have stressed it when it hit the ground. It also has some other plastic defect on the other side, not sure what from. It also has a very small ding in the tank. I think if it was mine, I would use it for awhile and consider fixing all that stuff in the future. Here is the good part of this bike though: the owner is a BMW guy. He knew all kinds of stuff about this bike. Although I am not a BMW guy, I am mechanically inclined enough to understand this guy knows his stuff. He has performed a whole bunch of maintenance to the bike. His list of work performed is pretty long. Bike has 23,000 miles on it. Owner wants $4,250. Not sure if he will drop the price or not.

My gut says the 1996 is the bike to go with. That one seems to be maintained by a guy who loves BMW and he was clearly knowledgeable about the bike. It needs some work to be pretty, but I don't think that bike will strand me anywhere. My issue is I think he wants a little too much for the bike. Mechanically, the bike is great, but the cosmetic issues, IMHO, bring the value down just as much as mechanical issues do. I looked at KBB and found that Trade-In value is $3,085 and Retail is $4,420. I think that with those numbers in mind, the bike should be worth somewhere in the middle considering it's high state of mechanical readiness and it's cosmetic defects.

What do you all think? Is the 1996 the one to go with? Is it too much money at its current asking price? Should I make a play for the 1995 for less money and handle the maintenance problems after? I could really use your experience on this. If you want to send a message to me via email, please feel free to do so.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:09 pm

too much

NADA gives average retail 2725 for a 96 k1100.

Keep looking.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 9:48 am

There is a 1996 K1100RS for sale in Western Mass with 23.5K miles on it listed for $4250. And yes NADA and Blue Book say that the bike is worth less but good luck finding one in good condition for as little as they say. I just sold my 1997 K1100LT with 24k on the clock for $6000 and it sold in a day with NO advertising...

I had my K1100LT for 12 years and it has been a SOLID bike - the only thing I ever had to do was change the oil, normal maintenance items (fork seals, plugs air filter) and a spline lube at 19k miles...

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/view/id/185402

source was ibmwr.org
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:47 am

yabbut

Yabbut, Jeff, he's buying, not selling... so we want to find him a deal from some poor fellow has to pay his taxes, or some vengeful broad who stole the old man's bike in a divorce, or some young husband who had a baby and now TOWMBO says he has to unload his toys. Good for you for selling high. Good for Paratrooper if he can buy low.

There's a K11RS on Ebay at only 2175 with 8 hours left. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...tid=824&kw=rss ... but Ebay can be a crap shoot

If you are willing to go several states and ride something home, and you have the patience to lurk on searchtempest every morning for weeks, but yet you are quick enough to swoop and scoop when the time comes, then you'd be amazed the bargains you can score.

The best time to score, of course, is in the late Fall; worst time is now in Spring... but that's water under the bridge.

Good hunting.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:39 am
Noob

On the '95, the oil leak is probably at the tell-tail hole, which may or may not mean the oil/water pump needs seals. A lot of times this leak will dry up on it's own. Otherwise it's not that big of deal to pull the pump and rebuild it.
ABS will not work with a weak battery. That may be the problem there. Klassic K's need a good battery. A weak battery will also freeze the contacts in the starter relay leaving the starter to chug away until you disconnect a battery terminal or run the battery completely down.
The manifold nuts are attached to studs which just screw into the block so if the nuts are frozen on the whole stud will just spin out and you can replace them or clean them up and reuse them.
$120 for a Odyssey P680 battery.
Less than that to rebuild the pump.
And even less for header bolts.
All that said you should maybe use these small mechanical issues after it sits for a while and low-ball him with say, $3300, which would be a decent buy for a good looking bike which you could make sound pretty easily. Just a thought, don't know you're budget.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 2:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Great Input!

Ocelot - you say the bike is too much. I kind of thought so too, so one tally is up on that side, thanks. Additionally, you have economics 101 down - I am buying and I want to pay the lowest amount I can. That's not to say I want a free bike; on the contrary, I want a bike which is a good value. I am willing to pay what a bike is worth. The problem I am having is I am not familiar with these bikes and don't have a good feel for what the market will bear. The other you got right is I am looking at the wrong time of year. This may ultimately force me to wait until the fall.

NikonJeff, you are saying the asking price is appropriate? I know nothing about your bike, so I don't have a frame of reference for that. The ad you reference is the bike I looked at. Would you pay the asking price?

MysticRed, I like your idea. I may do just that, thanks!

Any others with some input or thoughts on this?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34
Ocelot - you say the bike is too much. I kind of thought so too, so one tally is up on that side, thanks. Additionally, you have economics 101 down - I am buying and I want to pay the lowest amount I can. That's not to say I want a free bike; on the contrary, I want a bike which is a good value. I am willing to pay what a bike is worth. The problem I am having is I am not familiar with these bikes and don't have a good feel for what the market will bear. The other you got right is I am looking at the wrong time of year. This may ultimately force me to wait until the fall.

NikonJeff, you are saying the asking price is appropriate? I know nothing about your bike, so I don't have a frame of reference for that. The ad you reference is the bike I looked at. Would you pay the asking price?

MysticRed, I like your idea. I may do just that, thanks!

Any others with some input or thoughts on this?
Based on the description in the IBMWR ad yes it would be worth close to that - however it doesn't say anything about physical damage to the bike and that turns me off completely.

If I drove out there to see the bike and it had the damage you describe, I would've gone away pi$$ed. My bike ('97 K1100LT) was the touring (big fairing) model of the K1100 and it was very close to mint and had less than 25k on the odometer so IMHO was worth the asking price. Someone else though so too as I made one phone call and it was GONE!

There will be plenty of bikes - I know MaxBMW in Troy, NY has a K1100RS, K100RS and a K75s in stock - worth looking at perhaps? http://maxbmw.com/

Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 5:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Based on the description in the IBMWR ad yes it would be worth close to that - however it doesn't say anything about physical damage to the bike and that turns me off completely.

If I drove out there to see the bike and it had the damage you describe, I would've gone away pi$$ed. My bike ('97 K1100LT) was the touring (big fairing) model of the K1100 and it was very close to mint and had less than 25k on the odometer so IMHO was worth the asking price. Someone else though so too as I made one phone call and it was GONE!

There will be plenty of bikes - I know MaxBMW in Troy, NY has a K1100RS, K100RS and a K75s in stock - worth looking at perhaps? http://maxbmw.com/

Jeff
Jeff, you bet those bikes are worth a look! Thanks for the tip. That place is 2 hours from my house and I can drive up there on a saturday no prob!

Yeah, the damage not listed on that bike was kind of crappy, but the guy really did impress me with his knowledge of those bikes. I would buy that bike from him, but not at his price.

Anyway, I will check out these. I really wanted to get one from a dealer anyway because I have a 916 I want to use as a trade in. This may work out nicely.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34
Jeff, you bet those bikes are worth a look! Thanks for the tip. That place is 2 hours from my house and I can drive up there on a saturday no prob!

Yeah, the damage not listed on that bike was kind of crappy, but the guy really did impress me with his knowledge of those bikes. I would buy that bike from him, but not at his price.

Anyway, I will check out these. I really wanted to get one from a dealer anyway because I have a 916 I want to use as a trade in. This may work out nicely.
Give Steve Mauk a call (518)279-3040 x204 and please tell him I sent you! If he has a blank look on his face mention the guy with the K1200GT that ran out of gas - TWICE I apparently have a defective fuel level sensor...

Max has been great to work with - June in service and Greg in parts are super nice folks! Let me know when you're coming and maybe I can buzz over there and say hi!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 6:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Give Steve Mauk a call (518)279-3040 x204 and please tell him I sent you! If he has a blank look on his face mention the guy with the K1200GT that ran out of gas - TWICE I apparently have a defective fuel level sensor...

Max has been great to work with - June in service and Greg in parts are super nice folks! Let me know when you're coming and maybe I can buzz over there and say hi!
Jeff

Hey Jeff, gonna take a ride up there tomorrow. Should be there about 1100 or so. Maybe I will catch you there.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode