A productive evening - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 9:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

A productive evening

I have just about finished rehabilitating my 1985 K100RT. (my first K bike)

After much cleaning and painting, replacing most of the output shaft and clutch carrier, a bit more cleaning and then replacing about 80 or so different parts my K is almost done.
I have been working on it since the end of January
These bikes are really fun to work on and, with the exception of the rear shock, I did not spend more than $250 on any single part.
I have only put about 150 miles on it. (It came with about 46,000 on it)
Overall, (except the handlebar buzz at high rpm) this bike is smooth and pulls like a train at any rpm or gear. Both my wife and I agree that the BMW pulls harder and is much smoother than the old KZ1000 that I had years ago.

I was warned about the heat produced by these bikes but I was suprised at just how intense it was. While waiting for better gear to arrive, I have been riding in jeans and they were almost not enough. Wow.

Today the postman brought me a fuel tank to frame gasket that I found on ebay.
I installed this missing gasket and also added a bit of pipe insulation into the gap on each side between the tank and the air cleaner box. (from the back of the air box forward to the side fairing)
I had already replaced the stock fairing gaskets and even a few missing plastic pieces.

I also filled the handlebar with lead shot. After trying every gun shop in town I finally found what I needed at the local dive shop. (weight belt bags, go figure) I used about 2.25lbs

I then took my K out for a brisk run.
Wow what a difference.
With the addition of todays gaskets the heat was reduced by half or more. If I rode without gear I believe I could now ride with long shorts.

The biggest difference was the handlebar feel.
With the addition of the lead I can now comfortably play with the upper rpm range.
Between 4,500 and 6,000rpm this thing is intense.

I am really going to enjoy this bike.
Many thanks to all the folks who have shared their knowlege on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:16 am
Noob

That's absolutely awesome! Several people have suggested the lead shot and I really need to do that myself. Fortunately, I used to reload shot shells and have about 50 pounds of the stuff LOL. Getting mine back on the road was a little more expensive since I had to replace the fuel pump. Hopefully, you've been able to buy parts that were in stock. My local dealer didn't have a lot of what I've needed and even A&S had to get a few from the distributor. It's all good, since I'm down to the cosmetic stuff anyway....make a to-do list and work on the bike when the parts get here. I haven't ridden a faired K much, but my basic 85 is hot enough, especially at a red light in Tucson during the summer!

Enjoy your bike, they truly are great! I'd love to get another one, but I really want another R65 real bad.

Phil
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:30 am
Rookie

Techer, funny I just read your post. I have spent the last three months rebuilding my newest member a 89 K 100RS SE. Had it stripped to the frame almost, spline lube, awaiting parts for the water/oil pump rebuild. Fun to tear apart and put back together. Have a buddy who rebuilt his 63 Vette doing my body work, should look nice when he is done, real quality. I have not ridden it at all, moved it from neighbors garage to mine in pouring Oregon rain and then started stripping. Really want to change out handlebars for k 75 C, but they are hard to find..... Oh well, never a dull moment.

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode