Fairing Hardware K75 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Fairing Hardware K75

So while riding a few weeks ago I noticed my fairing 'wiggling' around more than usual. Looked down and of course, the bolt which holds the fairing bracket to the engine is gone. Believe it was one of the 10mm bolts. Anyone know any compatible bolts or somewhere I can get the right one (possibly some backups after this :P)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 6:19 am
Noob

For the bikes I have, I look around on Ebay for stuff. For instance, I found a box of assorted fasteners from my bikes. It weighed about five pounds and had a great assortment of just about every type found on my bikes. There is one of those for a K75 on Ebay right now. These deals are usually very reasonable. And when you get these, you can replace lost/broken/worn-out fasteners with OEM stuff. Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 8:21 am

A BMW dealer will have the exact replacement. A hardware store also has metric bolts.

1992 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:10 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

If you look in the online parts fiche at Max BMW, RealOEM, A&S, etc... for generic metric hardware you will find the size and length listed. Take that size info to the metric section of your local hardware store.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 3:25 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well since Home Depot is just a mile from my house I gave it one more shot on the way to the dealer. Been to Home Depot and Lowes before looking for various other bolts on the bike (ironically others on the fairing), but they never seemed to fit quite right, which is why I hadn't even thought of going there again. But of course, this one just seems to magically fit.

Back to the road...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 7:29 pm
Rookie

I've got a local "bolts and screws" supplier a couple of blocks from home. They carry both metric and English stuff. They're very helpful but they have a minimum $5 order. So when I go there I order the bolts/fasteners I need and then make up the rest of the order with the stuff I'm always losing when I take the fairings off of my bikes.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
1991 K75RT
1993 K11LT
1995 K11LT
2003 K12LT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 1:08 am Thread Starter
Rookie

The first one I lost was one of the large ones underneath the headlights in the front, tried a couple from the Depot but the threads didn't quite fit, not sure why but I ended up making my own fasteners for those holes, washer and some zip ties makes it easier to take the fairing on and off I think. Plus, zip ties don't just fall out
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I've always found local hardware stores much better and the help much more helpful than the big box lumber yards when it comes to bolts and similar, especially when you are talking metric. IMO, save Lowes and H.D. for 2x4's and plywood.

1992 K75RT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDW
I've always found local hardware stores much better and the help much more helpful than the big box lumber yards
If you can find a local hardware store that the big box stores haven't driven out of business.

1987 RED K75S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:34 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I do some work on my bikes at my dad's place down in CA when I'm there. The local Ace Hardware has a decent selection of metric hardware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode