Bought me a K1100RS! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bought me a K1100RS!

Ok, I traded my 916 for a 93 K1100RS. I think my 916 was the better bike and it still cost me an additional $1,000, but I smiled the whole ride home on the BMW! Very comfortable to ride to say the least.

Now, I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you experienced riders could help out with:

1 - Does anyone reproduce the "K1100RS" decals that are on the side of the fairing? Cannot seem to find anything on the net.

2 - Do BMW dealers still have parts available for this bike? Especially tune up items (filters, plugs, pads, etc)

3 - What is the best source for used parts? Ebay has some stuff, and I see a couple of other smaller businesses, is one better than the other?

4 - What is the interchangeability between the 1100RS and other K bikes? For instance, will a starter from a 1100LT work on the RS?

Ok, that's all I have for now. I sure appreciate anyone's help with these. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 8:20 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34
Ok, I traded my 916 for a 93 K1100RS. I think my 916 was the better bike and it still cost me an additional $1,000, but I smiled the whole ride home on the BMW! Very comfortable to ride to say the least.

Now, I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you experienced riders could help out with:

1 - Does anyone reproduce the "K1100RS" decals that are on the side of the fairing? Cannot seem to find anything on the net.

2 - Do BMW dealers still have parts available for this bike? Especially tune up items (filters, plugs, pads, etc)

3 - What is the best source for used parts? Ebay has some stuff, and I see a couple of other smaller businesses, is one better than the other?

4 - What is the interchangeability between the 1100RS and other K bikes? For instance, will a starter from a 1100LT work on the RS?

Ok, that's all I have for now. I sure appreciate anyone's help with these. Thanks in advance!
1) I think those are out of production now. Somebody over at K11OG was looking into/did have some made. (Can't remember how that ended.)

2) Yes, if you like paying $30 for generic items.

3) See my signature.

4) Many of the mechanical parts are the same even with K75s and K100s. Like the starter for example.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 8:43 pm

In addition to F.D's excellent website, check out www.beemerboneyard.com

1992 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Quote:

Hey Michael,
Did you make it over to Max BMW in Troy, NY? I was there on Saturday having the fuel level sensor replaced and saw someone kicking the tires of a red K1100RS - thought it might've been you but didn't want to bother whoever it was...
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:44 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Oh, and here's a page I did on general K bike maintenance that you might find helpful: http://tinyurl.com/fdkmaint
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Some good feedback, thanks everyone!!!

Good work on the maintenance page, I bookmarked it. That will be helpful soon as I get a weekend to knock all that stuff out.

Jeff, that was probably me, I bought the K1100RS. I took it for a ride and knew that I wanted to swap my Ducati for that bike. Great ride home, it's a really nice bike. You should have said "Hi", I was wondering if you were going to show or if I got there too late.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Some good feedback, thanks everyone!!!

Good work on the maintenance page, I bookmarked it. That will be helpful soon as I get a weekend to knock all that stuff out.

Jeff, that was probably me, I bought the K1100RS. I took it for a ride and knew that I wanted to swap my Ducati for that bike. Great ride home, it's a really nice bike. You should have said "Hi", I was wondering if you were going to show or if I got there too late.
Darn it! I saw you talking to Steve and didn't want to interrupt.. Glad you bought the K11RS - nice bike, solid engine... You'll have a blast! It also gives us a reason to meet up then since I didn't say Hi
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode