fan alternative? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

fan alternative?

Anyone know of an alternative motor (brand or part # ) for the Bosch fan motor? Mine is dead & $250 at BMW is beyond my means at the moment.Any help would be appreciated, mine has worn brushes even where to buy those would be helpful.
Mine is a '85 K100RS.Thanks.

Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly!

04 R1150RT 88k
85 K100RS 58k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:29 am
Enthusiast

I don't think those things are rebuildable. You can get the motor from http://beemerboneyard.com/kfanmtr0427.html (great folks) for about $69. It's a fairly common Bosch unit used in some auto applications, someone may be able to chime in with a cross reference.

1987 RED K75S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:35 am
Enthusiast

from IBMWR,

Bosch part # 0 130 007 027, available from a good auto electric store under that number. 55-80$ list( I was low), and I got one for 55$. Used in earler 911's as the A/C condenser fan motor, seen discounted on the net to the mid-50's. The Porsche part dies in exactly the same way. According to the ETK, the same fan ass'y is used in all the k's up to the K12, so the same motor ought to work in all of them. I haven't found out yet if they're rebuildable under the Bosch part#, but I will. Also if just the brushes and bushings can be had. I'd be unshocked if VW and/or Audi use a motor from the same series (BPA) for some similar application.

1987 RED K75S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 6:50 am

Have been seeing fan/radiator combos go on ebay for $50ish...no real clue of the condition. Am always a bit leary when buying from ebay tho...

this doesn't really answer your question but here's what I did on mine...any fan with similar profile/dimensions should fit
the fan in mine was toast..i had just parted out my maxim x and the fan was still good on it..i fabbed the mount to accept the fan and was up and running for $0.00
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2011, 1:37 pm

I just bought the one from beemerboneyard. Pretty easy install. Just swap and solder a the connector wires.

Toasted:

New:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 1985 K100RT Stripped.
See it here DC to Gaspe

Past: 1985 K100
See it here on my trip from DC to Panama
DC to Panama City
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2011, 8:49 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailgunner
Anyone know of an alternative motor (brand or part # ) for the Bosch fan motor? Mine is dead & $250 at BMW is beyond my means at the moment.Any help would be appreciated, mine has worn brushes even where to buy those would be helpful.
Mine is a '85 K100RS.Thanks.
On the K100RT forum, I posted link to a document in the download section that talks about all sorts of techniques for managing heat on the K-bike. Included in that document are several recipes for substituting the original Bosch fan with modern, direct-drive, high CFM fans that will cost less, work better and last longer. Get that document and read it. Hope it helps.

- Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode