BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Clutch o-ring

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  kringb 
#1 ·
I am replacing the clutch on my 85 k100. My question is about the o-ring that goes around the output shaft and into the clutch housing. I bought a new o-ring from the dealer and it is slightly larger than the old o-ring that came out. I tried to install the new o-ring but it would not fit into the housing. i tried to work it in with a flat screw driver but it buckles and just would not fit. I tried the old one and it fits in tightly and nicely. I still needed to work it in with the screw driver but it went in.

The old o-ring looked fine and I'd be tempted to reuse ti but I would hate to have a small leak here.

Has anyone else had this trouble with replacing the o-ring? Any advice.

For further info, I am replacing the engine on my bike. The new one is from a 1990 K100 LT. I am using the old clutch housing from my 85 RS. The o-ring is off the 90 LT. All related part numbers are identical on both engines so I don't think this is relevant but I mention it anyway. I can't check the old o-ring off the 85 Rs because I had to cut it out. I do not have any idea how old the o-ring off the 90LT is but it looks good.

Also, the new o-ring from the dealer measures to the correct size listed in the microfiche and the part numbers match. The new o-ring is perfectly smooth and round. The old o-ring off the LT as a series of small indentations (like diagonal hash marks) running around one side. These marks look like they were manufactured, not from wear. I

Any ideas of help? thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Just wanted to post an update that I resolved the issue.

When I didn't receive any responses I figured that I must have done something wrong so I went back and tried it again. It turned out that I didn't have the housing pushed all the way back onto the shaft. So, I was trying to push the o-ring into the housing by hand because I didn't have enough threads exposed to screw on the thrust washer and nut. With the housing pushed all the way back onto the shaft, I was able to push the o-ring up to the housing and then use the thrust washer to compress it evenly back inside the housing.

I have no idea about the smaller o-ring off the 90 LT engine. It is a used engine that I bought and I must assume that the old owner had put it in there. There were not signs of leaking but I feel much better using the OEM part on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.