Hi from Arkansas - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi from Arkansas

Just picked up an 85 K100RS in Tx yesterday and found y'all today. Good week! I'm needing help already. What's a good manual to get, and do all these K's lean so far on side stand?

I got a book w/ bike about 1/2" thick w/ no covers, found a pic of linkage for clutch/side stand auto deal but can't figure mine out. I 'searched' this forum, wrong place?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 8:31 am
Noob

Yeah, the lean is pretty common

Welcome aboard. The lean angle is pretty common and seems extreme when you are putting all that weight down on one stick of steel. I usually find an angled parking spot, put the kickstand uphill and it sits pretty good. Otherwise, center stand for flat spots.
I use Clymers and Haynes, if I picked one I'd use Clymers......but be careful about the specs. They each have errors/inconsistencies on torque settings, fluid qty, etc.

Robert Horton
95 K75RT (1st bike)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 8:58 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper
Welcome aboard. The lean angle is pretty common and seems extreme when you are putting all that weight down on one stick of steel. I usually find an angled parking spot, put the kickstand uphill and it sits pretty good. Otherwise, center stand for flat spots.
I use Clymers and Haynes, if I picked one I'd use Clymers......but be careful about the specs. They each have errors/inconsistencies on torque settings, fluid qty, etc.
Do you have an example of an incorrect torque in Clymers? I've compared them to the OEM manuals and they're usually the same. (Not defending Clymers, just relating what I've found.)

If it's an 85 then it's got the early piston rings. If you leave it on the side stand for any period of time then the rings will let some oil seep into the combustion chambers. The result of this can be a smokey startup. Not an issue really but something to be aware of. This can be minimized by either a) using the center stand or b) after you turn the bike off tilt it to the right for 10-15 seconds so the oil behind the pistons has a chance to drain back into the sump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 12:52 pm

welcome.
+1 on the Clymers I have the Haynes as well but like the Clymers the best. Watch for used ones on ebay. While you watch, check out your local library.

1992 K75RT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Rookie

I did not care for the angle of lean on my K100. Get a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum, cut it the same size as the side stand base, drilled two small holes through the side stand base, drill and tap the alum piece for small cap head bolts. Lean angle is still sufficent. The alum is real easy to work with, probably 30mins to make.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrs
I did not care for the angle of lean on my K100. Get a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum, cut it the same size as the side stand base, drilled two small holes through the side stand base, drill and tap the alum piece for small cap head bolts. Lean angle is still sufficent. The alum is real easy to work with, probably 30mins to make.
have the bike at the local airport tweaking it. guy stops in today from Tn, has same bike. found out several things, including it's set up for a real tall guy, auto stand return mech is on wrong. gonna add a skosh more than 1/2" to bottom of sidestand just as described above.

found a clymers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Noob

Hi. I have 2 K11's. Both seem scary on the sidestand and i very rarely use it. Using the centre stand is easy and i can sleep well! The safety switch on my newer bike's sidestand has been disabled by a PO which also puts me off using it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm

side stand

Hey, I like the extreme side stand lean Ocelot has. I have an R1200CLC, Annie, which leans just right on a level surface, but you can't park Annie at all on any kind of crowned road surface. The least bit of slope, she's going over. So I am glad to have Ocelot lean way over. When I park beside the gutter, it all works out just right. Even with an inch shorter shock, she still leans about correct.

As for manual, I got hold of a Clymer when I was bringing Ocelot back from the grave. Was not impressed. Downloaded a PDF Haynes. Less impressed. The one thing Clymer has going for it, it's thicker. So if you slap it down before you park your bike, the Clymer will take up more side stand lean. Other than that, lots of bogus stuff.

But that's common. These manuals often have seven steps where three will do, and two special BMW tools when a scrap of wood will do the trick.

Man, you gotta love these bricks for easy to work on, though.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 11:09 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Hey, I like the extreme side stand lean Ocelot has.
I've heard of bikes tipping over in strong winds/accidental bumps/other tipped bikes, away from the sidestand, but never towards the sidestand. The strong lean-angle may make it safer to park.

One issue I have is trying to stand-up the K100LT, when it's been leaning downhill. I have to use my weight as I throw a leg over it, and continue to shove it upright in one motion. But a K75c isn't a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode