Considering shooting up my K75S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2012, 8:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

Considering shooting up my K75S

I hope that got your attention!

Newbie question for you old timers:

My left switch cluster is in dire need of contact cleansing. I understand that the switch is spring loaded and if you open it up, parts go flying everywhere and it's a real hassle to put back together.

I am considering opening up the switch housing just a fraction of a millimeter and using a hypodermic syringe to flush the insides with contact cleaner, then working the switches a while.

Is this a good idea?

I figured I'd try to blow out the dirty contact cleaner with compressed air, then maybe repeat the process.

New Rider with Old Bike: 93 K75S ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Results

Instead of opening up the housing at all, I used a small gauge needle and was able to shoot in the contact cleaner between the switches and the housing.

Worked like a charm.

New Rider with Old Bike: 93 K75S ABS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2012, 8:02 pm
Enthusiast

Honestly?

I'd just buy a new switchgear set - the problem iwith the low beam high beam switch is often arcing damage on the contacts, resulting in that notchy feeling when you change them.

I'm making a few assumptions here - so feel free to ignore me if you are talking about the turnsignal switch.

I replaced both left and right sides on my 85 K100 and was very happy with the results - also used the Eastern Beaver relay set to up the power to the front headlight and to eliminate the arcing problem.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode